Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cannot access Mac server
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:59 pm 

I'm trying to get NeoRouter up and running on my home computers. I have successfully created a domain and installed NeoRouter server on an Intel iMac running 10.5.8. I've forwarded the listening port and confirmed everything checks out on the NeoRouter Dashboard website.

I also successfully installed the NeoRouter client software on two computers: (1) a Windows Vista laptop and (2) a Windows XP Desktop.

I have created user accounts for my family members and was able to log on using the different accounts on each computer. I also have been able to add the computers (all three of them) to the computer list.

Finally, I have been able to successfully communicate between the two client computers - that is, between the two Windows machines. My problem is that I cannot seem to communicate between either of the Windows computers and the Mac. This seems strange because the Mac is functioning as the server, so on some level communication between the machines must be working. I can't ping, connect via SMB, connect via VNC, etc. (I have ensured that all firewalls are off for the purposes of testing).

Am I missing something? Is there some additional step necessary to communicate between Macs and PCs? Otherwise, everything seems to be working fine.

Post subject: Re: Cannot access Mac server
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:29 pm 

Some additional information:

I was able to install the NeoRouter client on another Mac client computer (a MacBook running 10.5.8). Using this computer I am again able to communicate with the two client Windows machines (see post above) but cannot access (ping/icmp, smb/afp shared files, vnc, etc.) the Mac server.

So it doesn't appear to be a PC/Mac issue, but a server/client issue. How can I rectify this to have the server computer accessible on the network as well?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:15 pm 

Hi droller,

You may want to install the NR client on the Mac too, on which you are running the NR server, e.g. on the server, you have to install both NR server and NR client packages.

Let us know if any problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:20 pm 

Sorry, despite best efforts I was not clear enough.

Both the server and client software packages are successfully installed on the iMac computer. The thing that's interesting is that the iMac always shows as online even if the client is not currently running. So for all the clients the iMac always shows up as an available (and online) computer but no client can ever actually access the iMac.

Thank you for your help, have any other ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 pm 

If the tuntap is working properly (see the VIP) on your iMac, please check out the firewall on your server. Also restart the NR server.

If an NR Client is shutdown improperly, the online status won't be changed, until detected by the heart-beat. It may take 1 min on Linux or Mac.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:32 pm 

After playing around some more, I've solved some problems, but also raised new questions.

I noticed that running ifconfig -l in terminal did not show any tun or tap devices. This made me think your suggestion about tuntap not working properly might be the case. So I re-started the iMac (which has both the client and server software on it). After the reboot ifconfig -l successfully showed a tap0 device. So, guessing that my problems were solved I checked out the other Windows computers. They still worked and in fact could now reach the iMac to access files, etc.

The new question this raises, however, is what purpose does the client software serve? Both Windows computers show the iMac as online (and can in fact reach it) even though the client is not running on the iMac (I've confirmed this is the case even long after the heartbeat should have detected that the client software is no longer running). This isn't really a problem for me (because I want to be able to access the iMac), but it seems a bit perplexing.

Thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm 

Hi droller,

The iMac, on which you run the NR server, can be reached from other computers in the NR virtual network, when you installed the NR client on it. Without NR client on it, if just running NR server, you cannot access to the iMac through the virtual network.

Of cause, it's up to you if like to install the NR client or not.

If you stop the NR client on the iMac and it still shows "online" status on the computer list after a while (> 3min), there would be a bug. A better way to verify this is using the Configuration Explorer, from where you can see all computers status.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm 

To follow up on this issue (which isn't really an issue for me anymore, but is worth hunting if you think it might really be a bug), I can access the files on my iMac computer (which has both the client and server software installed) even when the client software is stopped.

The 3 minute window is long past because I have been using NeoRouter for the past several days without ever starting the client software. My iMac is always listed as online and can always be accessed (using the configuration explorer confirms the online status). The two NeoRouter programs listed in Activity Monitor are nrserver and nrservice, *not* nrclientcmd.

All clients in the network (several Windows computer and two additional Mac notebooks) behave as expected and are only available & accessible when the client is running.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:29 pm 

If an nrservice is down, the online status will be changed in 60 seconds by default. No matter nrclientcmd runs or not, it will always be online if the nrservice is running. If you want to stop the connection, you may want to stop the nrservice.

On Windows, users can stop nrservice from menu option; but on other platform, have to run /etc/init.d/nrservice.sh stop under root permission.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team