Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter on Tomato setup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:17 pm 

I had an older version of Tomato on my router, so I downloaded your NeoRouter version of Tomato 1.23 and flashed my router. I turned on jffs and formatted, added the "/usr/bin/neorouter.sh start" and iptables lines to the appropriate script windows in Tomato.

I can use the Configuration Explorer (CE) and Network Explorer (NE) from within my firewall, but I could not connect from my workplace. I enter the username, password, and external ip address of my router, but CE and NE return after a long pause with no error or anything. I am able to remotely connect to my router's administration pages, so I know the router is running, the ip address is correct, etc.

I think I see "DROP" packets in my router logs with the 32976 port mentioned. I figured the iptable commands are probably supposed to prevent that, but apparently they are not working for me.

Can you help me debug this problem? Are there other Tomato settings that might be interfering?

Michael

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter on Tomato setup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 pm 

Hi myvoiceinthewind,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.

Did you reboot the router after change the settings?

If so, you can use following method to verify if the Server is working well.

1. You can enable the SSH in Tomato and log on to the router. Use "top" command to see if neorouter process is running.

2. From a separate computer in the same LAN, you can use telnet [router ip] 32976 to test if the port is still blocked by the firewall.

Please let us know and we will help you.

thanks,
KevinZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I had rebooted the router several times following the configuration changes.

I was able to SSH into the router and confirm that "/usr/bin/neorouter" processes are running. At one point I had as many as 8, but after another reboot there appears to be about 4 of them.

The "telnet [router ip] 32976" command from my LAN seemed to connect, though nothing happened. When I tried to telnet using my external ip address from my home computer (on the LAN) or work computer (on the WAN), I am unable to get a connection at all. This mirrors the results with NeoRouter Network Explorer.

Any other ideas?

-- Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:44 pm 

Hi myvoiceinthewind,

Looks like the server listening port is not exposed to the Internet, so the Client cannot connect to it.

Would you explain your network topology? There would be 2 kinds of structures:

a. Internet <--> Router 1 <--> Router (Tomato) <--> computers
If so, you may want to set port forwarding (32976)in Router 1

b. Internet <--> Router (Tomato) <--> computers
If so, we may need more information.
Please log on to your router
(1) run "ifconfig"
(2) iptables -L

c. Not listed
Let us know.

Please post these information or send it to our email support@neorouter.com, we are trying to solve it.

Thanks,
KevinZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 pm 

hi myvoiceinthewind,

Thanks for your information. We found the reason is the Inbound Connection Log drop the packets. Please disable the log option and it should work.

For details, please check out our website:

Install NeoRouter server for Tomato firmware

Let us know if still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:39 pm 

Hi,

I just found your NeoRouter/Tomato product via this post here:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=60852

Are you aware of this already very active forum for Tomato builds?

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/forum ... .php?f=160

You might find it useful to post updates there.

From the file name, it would seem the build you have for download is based on the ND (new driver) version of tomato. Is it at all possible for you to compile a build based on the non-ND version of Tomato 1.23 so those of us with hardware that doesn't work with the ND builds can try it?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 pm 

Thanks for your interest in NeoRouter.
You are correct that the current tomato build is for ND. We can support non-ND fairly easily. I will add it to my to-do list.

At the meantime, you can probably try our Windows or Linux based server.

Thanks,
Luke - NeoRouter team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:58 pm 

Hi Luke,

Unfortunately I run Mac OS X, and also prefer a router-based solution due to low-power requirements, but will look forward to trying out a non-ND build of the Tomato software if you are able to. I'm using a Buffalo WHR-G54S.

Thanks and regards...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:56 am 

Well I took a chance and loaded the ND version on my Buffalo WHR-G54S. I have to say I am quite impressed. I haven't had a chance to try it remotely yet (only on LAN) but the ability to control user accounts, computers, access restrictions, etc through the configuration explorer is great.

One question about add-ons - are these something installed on each computer, or the NeoRouter server? If on the client computer, then do they need to be installed on both computers, or just the end computer? When I try to import add-ons from here:

http://www.neorouter.com/addons/index.html

onto the client computer, it's looking for a .nra file, but the files from that link are .nri files....

I'm particularly interested in the ability to have the Tomato NeoRouter Server act as a web proxy for clients, and once remote clients are connected be able to force ALL web traffic through my Tomato NeoRouter at home. Is this possible?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:19 pm 

Hi occamsrazor,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.

Add-ons can be installed on any computers running NeoRouter Network Explorer. Some add-ons, like 3Proxy, only need to be installed on one computer and this computer will serve as the proxy for other clients in the virtual network. Other add-ons, like VNC, need to be installed on all computers.

NeoRouter supports two types of add-on files: *.nri and *.nra. Most users only need to deal with *.nri files; all files downloaded from http://www.neorouter.com/addons/index.html are in this format. *.nra files are used by advanced users to build custom add-ons.
*.nri is the full installation package that contains both the application and the the configure info. Users can simply download *.nri files from our website and use the "Install" button in the add-on manager dialog to setup the add-on.
*.nra contains only the configuration info. Advanced users can create custom add-ons and export the configuration info as *.nra files using the "Export" button in the add-on properties dialog. Then he/she can import the *.nra file on another client to save some typing. But remember that you will need to manually setup the application as well.

In order to setup a web proxy, you will need install 3proxy on a client computer running the Network Explorer. Currently Linux-based NR server cannot serve as a proxy.
Users with Windows-based NR server can install 3proxy on the server computer because the Network Explorer is installed on it as well.

Thanks!