Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Autologin on Mac?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 am 

I am right in thinking the mac service (nrservice) should run in the background after install and automatically log into the account?

If I ping an address (6.0.0.2 for example) it will return a time out until I login via nrclientcmd, which will then start pinging perfectly. As soon as I close the terminal for nrclientcmd, the ping response will time out again. So it only works if I run nrclientcmd, login, and leave it open.

Am I missing something? How do you get the service to autologin to your account?

Post subject: Re: Autologin on Mac?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 pm 

Hi Brian,

Thanks for using NeoRouter.
nrservice always runs in the background and connects to the virtual network.
The behavior you are seeing may be caused by ACL rules. If you do not log into nrclientcmd, the target computer uses default ACL to allow/block incoming network packets. When you log into nrclientcmd, the target computer recognizes your user account and applies corresponding ACL for this user. Is it possible that the icmp echo service is blocked for default user but allowed for your account?
Please check the ACL in NeoRouter Configuration Explorer for the target computer and see if there is a difference between the default ACL and the ACL for your user account.
Also, which version of NeoRouter do you have and what OS do you have for nrserver?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 pm 

Yes you're right, the default user does have 'block all' set. I can try turning that off and see if it works tomorrow when I am back in the office.

Is it possible though for the mac service to use a proper account rather than a 'default' user account? I don't want to blanket allow access to a particular server for any default user, only specific users.

NeoRouter server is a win2003 server, which works beautifully for all other clients (only just started introducing macs). The mac clients are all OS 10.6. Oh, and the server and clients are both NeoRouter professional.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 am 

You can try the following method to auto start nrclientcmd and signin.

- sudo vi /Library/NeoRouter/nrclientcmd.command, enter the following content and save:
Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /Library/NeoRouter/nrclientcmd -d [domain] -u [username] -p [password]

- sudo chmod 755 /Library/NeoRouter/nrclientcmd.command, so the script can be executed.
- add the above script to user's login items. see the following site for instructions.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2602

Next time you login to your Mac, OSX will execute the above script, launch nrclientcmd and connects you to the virtual network automatically.

Hope this solution works for you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:06 am 

Brilliant, thanks that is working nicely!