Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Plans for Mac version, documentation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 pm 

I recently stumbled upon NeoRouter and thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking for something to replace Hamachi, as that product does not appear to be advancing much, beyond the Windows version. The fact you have chosen to provide a multi-platform solution appeals to me, as I work with various systems. So I read through your documention and thought I would give it a whirl.

For my initial test, I was using a few Macs. As such, I downloaded the free version for Mac OS X. To be honest, the installation is sub-par for the Mac version. Now I realize this product is still in beta, but I'd really like to see NeoRouter take off. But to do so, you really should consider making the installation a simple, single installer that handles downloading/installing tuntaposx if needed, along with installing the client/server setup, configuring the system as either a client and/or server, and handling the basic initial configuration including setting up a domain.

From what I gather, however, there currently is no NeoRouter Configuration Explorer for any platform except Windows at this point. Please, if at all possible, consider feature parity with all the OSes. Right now Hamachi offers a similar lame setup, where Linux and Mac users are relegated to 2nd class status at best. Yes, some folks (myself included) are fine working from the command line and doing manual tweaks, but if you're serious about the Mac market at least, please realize your average Mac user won't go anywhere near this product as it stands right now.

Again, I realize this product is not yet fully out. I just hope it becomes more than what we already have with other products. Yes, you do offer a nice feature in that folks can have their own server, hopefully reducing latency. However, you still require your product to connect into a central server for the domain resolution, so the system is still more vulnerable than, say, the open-source project n2n ( http://www.ntop.org/n2n/ ), where no central server is involved. Granted, in their case it's very low-level command line stuff--clearly not for the feint of heart--and it's definitely not zero-configuration as they don't offer any kind of domain resolution, but the potential is there if someone runs with it.

Now regarding the installer, it's possible you have already begun addressing this with the Professional version. I noticed on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3026

that it said

"* Improved Mac OS X installer, changed package to .dmg format"

I hope that means more than just changing from a .gz file to a .dmg, however. (Sorry, didn't install it as I already had started with the free version, and I just haven't had time to play with multiple versions.)

In a related matter, it would really help customers to know what you offer by providing some kind of side-by-side comparison page of the free vs. professional versions. Possibly use the typical table layout with checkmarks indicating which features each product supports.

Finally, the documentation could still use a bit of work. The creation of a domain is not clear at all, especially when working with non-Windows versions of NeoRouter. I realize that the bulk of effort has been invested in the Windows version, but that feature disparity really hurts market penetration on the Mac side. And I know that, given the opportunity, Mac users would jump at a product like this, IF it is packaged properly. Just some thoughts.

In the meantime, I plan to continue tinkering with this product. It appears to have serious potential. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Not sure if anyone there has noticed or not, but apparently a page on NeoRouter has been created, then deleted, several times on Wikipedia. The explanations for deleting the page strike me as odd. Thought you guys might want to address that, as it's yet one more way for folks to find you. I'm currently reading up the proper format for editing Wikipedia entries, so if you see a page there by the time you check, I may have added it.

Post subject: Re: Plans for Mac version, documentation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:15 pm 

Thank you for the valuable feedbacks.

We are committed to providing a cross-platform solution and a better user experience on Mac platform. We will also update the documents soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 am 

We have implemented GUI Network Explorer client for Mac OSX Leopard and above. It's as powerful as its Windows counterpart. Please give it a try!

Thanks,

Attachments:
MacUI.PNG
MacUI.PNG [ 47.9 KiB | Viewed 12286 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:00 pm 

Wow! This is great news. I will definitely give it a try. Congrats on the continuing development. I've been keeping tabs on this software, and you guys just keep trucking along.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:50 pm 

is there a way to setup OS X server without a windows machine? I live in a Mac only environment