Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Android CIFSmanager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 am 

Hello

I am currently using a Samsung i500 Fascinate with Android 2.1 with root access and cifs.ko module loaded. I can mount a Windows shared folder on to my phone using a Android app called CIFSmanager over wifi on my local network.

My goal is to be able to mount a Windows shared folder over cellular broadband while using OpenVPN but I was unable to configure OpenVPN on my Android handset. I was recommed to NR to setup a easy VPN for my phone but I was wondering if mounting CIFS is possible with NR. If so, whats a good way to go about it?

Thanks for any help if possible

Post subject: Re: Android CIFSmanager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:37 am 

Hi tallnerd1985,

I didn't use CIFsmanager, but I saw many JCIFS based Android apps, that can give you access a SMB server, even without "root".

I just found two of them:
http://code.google.com/p/sambaexplorer/
http://code.google.com/p/blackhole/

Theoretically, NR for Android supports those JCIFS based apps. You can simply setup port forwarding 445/tcp, then NR can bring your cell phone into the SMB server in the VLAN.

Though I didn't try those by myself, I think it should work, as it's similar to muCommander, that works with NR Portable on Windows. So try those apps over WiFi first, then try NR VLAN.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team