Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Android as proxy gateway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am 

Have Android client installed on SonyEricsson Xperia X10, with manual portforwarding. Have SSH server and AnalogX proxy server installed on homeserver. Connectbot for SSH and also browser on phone when proxy is configured (in APN setting) of phone the neorouter VPN works perfect :-)
Have rooted the phone (just a application) and installed Barnacle Tether. Xperia acts as WiFi hotspot, works as designed :-), perfect.
Now the question: Currently the ports from portforwarding are only accessible from within the phone...very good for security reason, but it would be really great, if and only the manual forwarded ports, one by one could be configured to allow open proxy to be accessible now also from outside the phone on the created WiFi network. This should be a low level Android config. As phone has to be rooted anyway to be used with a tether application, it should be possible to control this functionality from neorouter. Is it possible to add button with functionality to each manual port forward to expose the ports to WiFi network?
Would be really great function to use the phone as proxy gateway for all roadwarriors like me :-)
Thanks for the great software!
//Wolfgang

Post subject: Re: Android as proxy gateway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 am 

hi wolfgang123usa,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have not tried Barnacle Tether, but I assume your laptop would have full access to the wifi network. Would it be possible to install the NeoRouter client on the laptop? if so, it's probably an easier way to access the virtual network. Or did I miss anything?

Post subject: Re: Android as proxy gateway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 am 

On my laptop I have installed neorouter and works perfect. But on business laptops, mostly a corporate Window OS is installed (means with locked firewall and more) so in a lot of cases you can not share the proxy ports from your laptop (well there are maybe ways..but complicated) But the point for the Android Tether is always adhoc meetings on a business trip (airport, hotel etc), a few guys need internet, so the Android tether is the fast solution for internet connectivity (but on a lot of places/countries there are limitations on the internet) and there is no time to explain the others how to install neorouter for proxy tunneling, also you do not want to setup accounts for this one meeting....so the Android proxy gateway would be the perfect solution for this use case.

regards, Wolfgang