Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Android Help...again
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:12 am 

I apologize if this question has already been answered in a previous post. After the Hundreth post I read, I figured my question was not answered yet. I have installed the Neorouter server on my ubuntu 10.10 device, (along with the client), the client on my Windows 7 device, and the client on my Android device. The linux and windows machines play nice, but for the life of my I CANNOT get my android phone to connect to the other computers (Specifically my Windows 7 computer) for file sharing. I've read dozens of posts, changed my port forwarding , followed the tutorials, and everything. Currently, my issue is that whenever I attempt to share files using a third party app (CIFS Manager, PC File Sync, and others) they cannot connect to localhost:32973, which is the value I use as the server name/ip address. I always get the error, "can not connect to localhost/127.0.0.1", or "cannot find network name" etc... I've tried connecting via SSH using connectbot, and it is the same story. My port forwarding on my home router forwards port 445 to the 192...ip address of my windows 7 computer. I allowed the exception of that port in my firewall also. I am also able to ping my android phone using the Neorouter VPN IP Address (the 10.0.0...one) I simply have no idea what the problem could be.

Post subject: Re: Android Help...again
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 am 

Hi minus21,

Since you can ping the VIP of your Android phone from another PC, it means your NR VPC setup properly and the tunnel between your cell phone and PC is working. The problem is more related to the applications running over the VLAN.

I'd suggest you try the connectbot first, as it's simple. I assume you may want to run connectbot to connect to the Linux machine, on which the sshd is running and the port 22 is opened. You can run connectbot without NR first and connect to it using the physical IP address first (this make sure your sshd/connectbot work well). If it works, then try the VIP.

Once you get it done, you can try filesharing. You may want to use the JCIFS based Android app, instead of some apps using the OS network stack directly. JCIFS based apps open the port 445/tcp to the remote PC directly and NR for Android can redirect the connection properly.

You don't need to open the 445/tcp on your router if using NR.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm 

Hello,
Thanks for the quick response!! I am still having problems though. You suggested I try to connect with connectbot first, but that is one of the problems, it cannot connect. I've tried connecting to "user@localhost:32973", "Android@localhost:32973" ect....(Android being my android phone's Neorouter user name) In neorouter, I made sure that I long pressed on the computer I was trying to connect to and chose the SSH(22) option. When I browse to "Config Dynamic Port Forwarding", "NRIPAddress" is however NOT replaced with my computers VIP address. But I tried it anyway and...no dice. I then tried to configure a static port forwarding option with the same paramaters, only manually inputting the remote computers VIP address, and still no luck connecting with connectbot, or any other program. I tried jcifs SMB Sharing apps as you suggested and nothing is working. I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks again for the help, and the quick response!

Minus21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am 

Hi minus21,

Quote:
You can run connectbot without NR first and connect to it using the physical IP address first (this make sure your sshd/connectbot work well).

Did you try to use connectbot connect to your computer from cell phone directly? (Without using NR or VIP, instead of the local IP of the target)

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:18 am 

OK, big breakthrough tonight. I followed your suggestion of trying with the actual IP address, and it did not work. Then, I realized after some research that I might not have had all of the components of openssh installed on my linux machine, so I installed them, and was able to connect to it via connectbot using the actual IP and by connecting to localhost using NR. I was then able to configure my Samba sharing apps to connect over NR, and it is all working correctly. The challenge I am faced with now, is getting my android phone connected over NR to my windows 7 machine. I installed putty, and cygwin, but am unable to figure out the necessary config steps for connecting via SSH on windows 7. Perhaps some more research at a time which is not so late. If you have any great input on this matter, PLEASE let me know. Thank you