Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Add a computer directly (as opposed to client initated)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 am 

Is there any way to add a computer/client directly to the configuration file (or via configuration explorer) instead of 'going' to the 'remote' client and adding itself to the network?
There are several scenarios where this would be useful & helpful (if the admin has the necessary information about the client but the client itself is physically remote)

Post subject: Re: Add a computer directly (as opposed to client initated)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:46 am 

Hi onebox,

I'm afraid there is no other way to register a new computer on the server side. The main information it requires is the MAC address detected on the client computer/device.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm 

Thanks Kevin.
I have the MAC address as I can 'see' the incoming connection request in the server logs.
What is the format of the server database - Can I edit it directly using an appropriate program to add the client?
The client is in another location and I dont have physical access to it. It does try to connect (because it was once registered with the server before the server was reinstalled and a new db created).
Seems like an auto register feature (if username/password are correct) or a way to modify the db manually would be a value add to neorouter.

Currently the configuration explorer allows 'deleting' on the server side, seems like 'adding' should be possible as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 pm 

Hi onebox,

You may not be able to do this on the server end, at least so far.

In case other users are in the similar situation, the best way to do is:
1.Migrate the old database to the new server
Or
2.If need to rebuild a new database on the new server, also reuse the the same NR domain name. One can remotely log on to the client device/computer, run NR client/CLI and keep it running, so that the NR client can automatically reconnect to the server and register itself with the NR account.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm 

I am confused about option #2...
When you say 'remotely logon to the client' - do you mean outside of NR VPN connection? Because the NR VPN is what enables the connection to the remote client in my case and in most others' cases....

Anyway, the ability to modify the DB to add a known client would be a good feature add ... if you would consider..

Alternately, a server side configuration option can be added to enable (or disable) any client with a valid username/password should be allowed to successfully connect without 'adding' itself first.

What do you/your team think of the(se) features?