Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slow Transfers over neorouter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:56 am 

I rent an ubuntu server with ubuntu 10.04x64. Neorouter server is installed and neoclient installed. Both work on the server machine. All my home machines can connect no problem.
Server is 10.10.10.1 - 100mbit both ways
Client is 10.10.10.4 - 768 up/ 12mbit down
Only problem is backing up, via ftp or just a file copy from the server at 10.10.10.1 over neoruter. Speed starts high for a sec, then drop to 300k and stays there. If I run MTR (like trace route) on the server or any client, the pings start at 40ms but when transfers start it jumps to 1000 ms. AS in pinging the server 10.10.10.1 from client 10.10.10.4 during a transfer sees 1000ping. Ping the same machines ip out side neo shows 40s pings during transfers.

Transferring from client is limited by my upload bandwidth i know but transfers down from server cant be capped. that's a 100mbit line.

CPU usage is never over 3% on client or server during transfers.

Ive also have a proxy setup on the same box. I can access the web via the proxy through neorouter or through SHH. Again, web is slow through nerouter and fast through ssh. Speedtest.net test through neoruter proxy capped at around 3mbit down but reaches 12 mbit over ssh.

So the server box isnt the limitation as far as I can tell.

Any advise? is Nerouter limited to 3 mbit or so in throughput? Ive even tried having 2 neoclients download at same time from different isp connections. That cuts the 3 mib in half for each so its a server side limit of 3mbit on neo thats happening.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Slow Transfers over neorouter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:57 pm 

Hi scotw,

Thanks for your report. For me, it looks not normal.

I just have a similar environment as yours and I did a similar test as you. But I have different results. I use scp to test as well.

1.ping response (over VLAN) from client to server does not change (the average keep the same) no matter I transfer big files or not.

2.As you said, uploading speed (over VLAN) is capped by my home Internet provider; but the download speed (over VLAN) exceeds 3Mb/s for sure.
And in my testing, the download speed over VLAN is almost the same as direct download speed using ssh.

I think there would be something wrong in your environment. First thing would be the ping response. It's too big from 40ms jumping to 1000ms. You may want to figure out why this happens. Latency is a big factor affecting the network speed. If it's too high, the speed won't go up no matter how much bandwidth you have.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:09 pm 

I did pings both on vlan ip and on external server ip at the same time.

I start an mtr trace to public ip of the server
also start mtr trace to vlan client ip(10.10.10.1) of the server at same time.

When download starts over vlan, the vlan ping is excessive. But the outside ping stays low.
When downloading over SSH, both pings stay low.
There virtually no traffic and nothing else but apache/squid running on the server. Firewall is locked down to on allow 32768 and 80. I dont see what could be causing the lag internally on the server since memory is free and cpu usage is only 3%.

How about this, does the server need the client installed also? I believe that's the only way to access the server over a neo ip right? Because the server doesn't get an virtual ip with just the neo server installed.

Suppose I could just scrap neo and us SSH but neo makes it so much easier to hide the ssh login.

Thanks for testing similar setup though. I'll keep working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 pm 

Hi scotw,

In your case, both NR server and client must be installed on your server computer, so that your client computer can access to it. Based on your description, it looks like the IO become heavy in NR server/client while transferring files. Generally nrserver / nrclient just do some network IO and CPU usage.

Sometimes small things may case problem while testing, for example:
1.Forget to turn off logging of NR server/client services
2.Enabled other tunnels (vpn or ssh) first, then NR client may create tunnel over the existing one, if it's routed to the NR server.

I assume you didn't do any of these. If you can help collect the log file or nrservice, it would be useful. You can send it to the support(at) neorouter.com so that we can help you.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team