Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neorouter Android client could not ping Neorouter server
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 am 

Hi,

I have set up Neorouter free server and client in an Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 machine and am using Neorouter free Android client to connect to the Ubuntu machine.

I have tested connections to the Ubuntu machine with "ConnectBot", "Android VNC viewer" and "AndFTP" by using "localhost:32973" and by first enabling the "dynamic port forward" in the Android client. Everything runs smoothly. Thanks for the sharing of a great software.

However, in an Android terminal, I find that I could not ping the Ubuntu server using the server's nrtap IP address (10.0.0.3), but I could ping external websites (e.g. www.google.com). Moreover, with the Neorouter Android client, I could not SSH (using ConnectBot) to the Ubuntu machine by using the server's nrtap address 10.0.0.3 (but it could if using Putty with a Neorouter WinXP client) . It seems that the Neorouter Android client could not talk to the Neorouter server/clients by using the nrtap addresses, the Android client seems could only talk to the Neorouter server/clients by using the dynamic port forwarding method.

I want to know that is this the normal behavior for the Neorouter Android client ? Could I make some settings so that I could use the nrtap addresses to communicate with the Neorouter server/clients ?

Thanks for any comment/suggestion.

Regards
Lawrence :P

Post subject: Re: Neorouter Android client could not ping Neorouter server
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:59 pm 

hi Lawrence,

That is the designed behavior of NeoRouter Android client.
It does not support communicating with remote computers directly using the virtual ip addresses. Such functionality would require rooting the device and installing tap driver on it. We did not want to require our customers to root their devices, so we designed the port-forward solution to work around the Android OS limitation.
Besides dynamic port forward, Android client also supports static port forward. So you can set up the port-forward once and reuse later. You can find more information here: http://www.neorouter.com/android/portforward.html.

Thanks,
Luke

Post subject: Re: Neorouter Android client could not ping Neorouter server
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 pm 

Hi Luke,

Good works. Thanks a lot.

Regards
Lawrence ;)