Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: point to site bridged connection help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm 

I left a message with support, but I'm under the gun so if anyone has any comments I'd appreciate it. Quite a bit going on here, I know.

Overview:
We have a hosted pbx server, we have about 15 voip phones in a local office that connect to it. We are having nat and traffic shaping issues and need to directly connect the phones with a VPN - hoping your product will work.

What I've tested:
Installed free version of server on our hosted pbx, installed client on our openwrt router, successfully connected.

I believe I need a point to site bridged connection according to this:
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... workBridge

I need clarification on several items on that screen though:
1. I see it suggests running the gateway on a dedicated server if using the free version. How do the network diagrams change on the pro version? I'd prefer to run the gateway on my openwrt router directly if possible. We typically will have about 3-4 voip lines at once, with no other traffic.

2. If we do use a dedicated gateway computer, should the NR client be installed on the router?

3. The first step is says to modify the feature.ini. It didn't specify if that should happen on the server, client, or gateway though.

4. Do I just need 1 segment if all the phones are going to be connected to the VPN with nothing excluded or other locations? In the example if the computers are my phones - are the ip's provided by the router or by line 2 of the feature.ini?

5. When it says to setup the feature.ini on each member on the NR network - would that just be my openwrt router?

6. Using the pro version - would you recommend packet filtering for voip applications?

7. Run scripts - can you clarify, is this needed?

8. If I get everything else working I want to test with with a 4G LTE connection. My thought was to put a cradlepoint router that can share a 4G usb connections in front of the openwrt router, do you think that would work?

Post subject: Re: point to site bridged connection help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am 

This post is closed and innovateusa finally setup succesfully the point-to-site VPN with NR on their site with a NR gateway running on a winxp.

I'd like to put the information here so that other users can refer to.

1. I see it suggests running the gateway on a dedicated server if using the free version. How do the network diagrams change on the pro version? I'd prefer to run the gateway on my openwrt router directly if possible. We typically will have about 3-4 voip lines at once, with no other traffic.

Both NR Free and NR Pro have the same feature of networkbridge. No difference. With NR Pro, you can use packet filtering, customer logo features and so on; but ACL will be disabled automatically by design.

You can run the gateway on your router if you setup properly. The NR gateway is the node that links physical network and NR virtual network. It can be any node where a network work adapter will be bridged with NR virtual adapter, so that the packets can be routed between physical and virtual networks.

http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... idge_1.png

2. If we do use a dedicated gateway computer, should the NR client be installed on the router?

No. In the diagram link above, you will see the red-line that indicates the virtual network.You just need to install NR client on the gateway computer.

3. The first step is says to modify the feature.ini. It didn't specify if that should happen on the server, client, or gateway though.

You may want to setup Feature.ini file for ALL NR cients. If you installed a NR client with NR server on the same box, you need to setup Feature.ini on it as well. Those network feature settings work for NR client only. NR server won't use them.

4. Do I just need 1 segment if all the phones are going to be connected to the VPN with nothing excluded or other locations? In the example if the computers are my phones - are the ip's provided by the router or by line 2 of the feature.ini?

It depends on your requirments. The purpose is to tell NR gateway how to find the physical IP addresses. Generally 1 segment is good enough for point-to-site. The segment is defined for the physical machines in the site.

5. When it says to setup the feature.ini on each member on the NR network - would that just be my openwrt router?

Depends. If you installed NR client on it and want to use network-bridge feature, then need to setup Feature.ini on it; or no need.

6. Using the pro version - would you recommend packet filtering for voip applications?

Depends. If you have various packets over the virtual network and want to filter them out, you can enable it; if you know this will be a pure voip packets, no need to setup this feature, so that you can get better performance.

7. Run scripts - can you clarify, is this needed?

You can hook some scripts to NR client service by setting some parameters in Feature.ini.
See the available parameters below and for more detailed information, please refer to http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... ationFiles

Sometimes you may want to run you own script to adjust route table or something, then you may want to inject your operation when NR client service initialize the virtual adapter and assigns VIP to the adapter. If default setting works for you, then no need.

#Description: Run script before tap gets initialized
#Options: Any script or command
#Default:
CmdOnTapInit=

#Description: Run script after tap is initialized
#Default:
CmdOnTapActive=

#Description: Run script when tap get uninitialized
#Default:
CmdOnTapUninit=

8. If I get everything else working I want to test with with a 4G LTE connection. My thought was to put a cradlepoint router that can share a 4G usb connections in front of the openwrt router, do you think that would work?

I think should be working though I didn't test it yet.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team