Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to disconnect from VPN when closing client?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 am 

If I have used NeoRouter to connect to a VPN, the connection stays open even after I have closed the client. I discovered this when I looked at the "Shared" section in Finder and saw computers that are not in my local network. Also, if I run ifconfig, I see the VPN IP even if I haven't used NeoRouter since booting.

How can I configure NeoRouter to connect to the VPN only when the client is active and logged in?

Post subject: Re: How to disconnect from VPN when closing client?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 pm 

Hi onik,

On Windows, right click on the tray icon of NeoRouter client and choose the menu item "Disconnected & Quit" option to quit from UI and stop the NeoRouter client service. Then you are completely disconnected from the server.

With NR Pro, one can use the built-in ACL/firewall to protect computers once sign out.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 am 

Hi KevinZ and thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm running OSX. Although I recently tried Neorouter also on Linux, and the same thing seems to happen there, and ifdown nrtap doesn't seem to work since the interface has no config files.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:12 pm 

hi onik,

On Mac, you can use command "launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/nrservice.plist && killall nrservice" to stop the vpn service. To restart it, use "launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/nrservice.plist".

On Linux, you can use "sudo /etc/init.d/nrservice.sh stop" and "sudo /etc/init.d/nrservice.sh start".

Please keep in mind that this is not recommended to most users. Our VPN service (nrservice) is designed to always run in the background and keep you connected to the virtual LAN. It works similar to the physical Ethernet connection. Do you unplug the Ethernet cable whenever you don't need it? :)

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

Hello

Couldn't you implement a disconnect and quit option on Mac OS version ?

There are times when I am roaming and where the bandwidth is limited (sorry guys we live in Africa and internet is expensive).

I would like to be able to disconnect when I want and reconnect.

Also you should think about a reconnect retry. It should retry from time to time to reconnect in case the connection was dropped, or in case the user was temporarily disabled and the re-enabled.

Last edited by fgreg on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 pm 

Hi fgreg,

Thanks for your good suggestion. We will consider about the feature in the future release.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: Re: How to disconnect from VPN when closing client? Android
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:31 pm 

How do you disconnect when using an Android client?

I often find that after not using my phone for a while neorouter is running but not connected or at least not letting data flow. I need a method of disconnecting neorouter without rebooting the phone and/or poking it to wake up the connection.

rearden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am 

Hi rearden,

On Android, tap the NR VPN icon to disconnect it.

Unlike other platforms, NR for Android does not have a service running on the background. So when you disconnect VPN from UI, it quits completely.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am 

Could you be a little more specific on "Tap NR icon to disconnect"? Is this from the "pull down" status window? If I tap on the "VPN is activated by Neorouter" status, it pulls up a neorouter status, with "cancel" but this only seems to make the window disappear.

in Apps? This pulls up the list of machines in the network or a sign in page. but no disconnect or reconnect.

Once you run are in the NR app? I see a list of My Computers but nothing I can see to disconnect or reconnect. If I tap the android machine it does nothing, if I hold, it says "copy address".

Is there more information on the Android version and "no service running in background" it often seems like it reports it is working but isn't.

rearden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 am 

Hi rearden,

Your understanding is correct. What I mean is the system icon for VPN on the right bottom corner. NR client for Android is implemented based on Android VPN API and it's taken over by Android once it started. So have to use the system icon/menu item to disconnect it just like other VPN.

But it's not normal that you got stuck at the point. Would you provide more clue so that we can try to reproduce it? When lost network, it should have disconnected automatically.

Btw, you can install some task/process manager kind of apps to kill the NR client process directly, instead of rebooting your phone.

Thanks,
KevinZ - Neorouter team