Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: change of password
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 pm 

I was able to change my dashboard password. However, I have been unsuccessful in changing the user password. Does anyone have any information on this issue? I tried three ways, via the html5 web application, via the linux java network browser and via the linux nrclientcmd command line. (The command line gives me a synchronization failure/protocol error 1.

Perhaps this is due to having other machines logged on with the same password? Don't know -- though if so, it's probably a good thing -- I would rather not have kicked my remote machine offline, which I would otherwise have done!

But in any event, password change seemed necessary because the dashboard would not log me in with my regular password. The "lost password" response is rather insecure, including the domain name, the user and the password all in plain text in the email, which means anyone scanning email traffic for passwords can now log onto my system!

Post subject: Re: change of password
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 am 

Hi basd,

Based on your description, you want to change the NR domain name password instead of the NeoRouter accounts' password. So you should not try NR Web Console or NR clients, instead of go to the Dashboard to change your password.

You are suggested to change your password once you rescue your password from "lost password" link.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:19 pm 

Actually, my problem is somewhat more complicated. I successfully changed my domain password and can log into the dashboard. I apparently changed my only admin login to the actual configuration explorer and network explorer, so the system is now inaccessible to me.

I am thinking best choice is to delete the account and start over?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:01 pm 

Hi basd,

No need to reinstall. You can always use nrserver CLI commands to reset the password on the server machine.

On Windows, try "nrserver.exe -agentmode -help" . On other platforms, run "nrserver -help" for the detailed parameters.

You can also refer to the user manual.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Post subject: [solved] Re: change of password
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 am 

Ok, thanks. This worked sufficiently to get back on the system, but I would like to report my results in case the information is useful to anyone else.

(I primarily use linux.)

1. I could not log into the domain with my user and the old password or the new one, even though the nrserver command line password change reported success. I believe this is due to #3 below.

2. I created a new user via the command line and logged in via the new user.

3. When I logged in via the new user, I discovered that some of my computers had reconnected via the old user/password combination. That is, the computers that were previously online stayed online, even though I had shut down the server and broken all the connections. They apparently came back up when I restarted the server.

4. I do not have access to some of the computers right now, so I can't log them all out and see whether the new password is effective. This is difficult due to some computers being in different locations. I have not been able to login a computer via the old password, but the ones that WERE ONLINE when I changed the password remain active even though I shutdown and then restarted my server.

5. I guess I could disable the [old] user, but it's sort of convenient that the machines are online at the moment. So, I will change the logins to the new user incrementally and see what happens regarding the old user login when all machines on that username are logged out.