Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Could the Android client have a connectable virtual IP ?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:12 pm 

Hi,

Two years ago I had asked the question http://www.neorouter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5104 about the Android client.

I am using NeoRouter Free [Version 1.7.1.3430] and now I am using an Android 4.4.2 tablet.

I want to know that if I install the latest Neorouter Android client in this Android 4.4.2 tablet, then could I have a connectable virtual IP of my tablet, i.e. I could ping (or connect somehow) from my Neorouter server to my Android client using its 10.x.x.x virtual IP address.

I ask this question as I want a scenario that my Android tablet could be reachable from my home Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 server even when the tablet leaves my home (i.e. connecting through 3G/4G). So that I could install some servers (e.g. ftp, samba) in my Android tablet and reach these servers from my home Ubuntu server (assume I am sitting in my home and my Android tablet is holding by my friend).

It seems that for earlier Neorouter Android client the answer is NO. However, Android 4.0+ seems have introduced new API for VPN (VpnService). So I wonder that could a newer Neorouter Android client achieves my scenario.

Thanks for your attention and glad to have your reply.

Regards
Lawrence

Post subject: Re: Could the Android client have a connectable virtual IP ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 am 

Hi tkwinfo,

Yes. With Android 4.0+, you can remotely access to the android device. Unlike on old Android, NR client for Android 4.0+ is a fully featured VPN. If you run a sshd on Android device, you can remotely ssh to it; if you have a VNC server running on it, you can VNC to your android device as well. NR client for Android is still running as normal user (not root), so when install something on it, you are limited to the normal user.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team