Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why no browse option from the Computer List?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:20 pm 

64 bit free version NeoRouter on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I am using the GUI NR interface on my test client machines. When I click on a computer in the Computer List, I expect one of the options to be "Browse" if that computer is sharing one or more directories.

Such an option appears for the Windows clients, but on the Ubuntu clients I only see three options: Ping, SSH, and Copy address. What am I doing wrong?

If I forget about the NR GUI and just start opening my Ubuntu Network, I can see some (but not all) of my clients, and can contact some (but not all) of them. But I am surprised that after starting the GUI the only way to contact my clients is through Ubuntu Network place.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Why no browse option from the Computer List?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 am 

Hi bluejay41,

On Linux, the default add-ons are different from other platforms. But you can always create your own add-ons using the Add-On manager. You can also manually change the add-on file ~/.NeoRouter/AddOn.xml if need.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 am 

Thanks for your reply, Kevin. This is all completely different from last time I tested NeoRouter. At that time, there was no problem at all opening shared folders on other clients of a domain.

There is no mention of add-ons for Linux in the User Manual. The examples of the Add-on Manager for Windows (p. 25) and Mac (p. 27) show an Add-on named Shared Folder. Is there an Add-on "Shared Folder" for Linux?

I notice that the Add-ons page on the NeoRouter web site is in the Downloads section and is titled "NeoRouter Add-ons for Windows". No mention of other platforms.

Opening File -> Add-ons -> Add I see a dialog with two boxes, Title and Script. I entered Shared Folder for Title, and restarted nrclient.sh. I happened to have a Terminal window open, and saw a whole bunch of "at java.awt.Event...." messages which meant little to me.

Now Shared Folder appears in my list of add-ons, but is completely ineffective. Does nothing. I expected a login dialog for the shared folder. Was I supposed to enter some "script" in the Add dialog (from File -> Add-ons -> Add)? What "script"?

The client with the shared folder happens to be the same machine which runs nrserver for this domain. Is that a problem? Shouldn't be -- nrserver and nrservice should be unrelated to each other as far as the OS and SMB networking are concerned. On that server machine, your NeoRouter Server Check shows the port is open and the server active, and the Computer List in the nrclient GUI window shows that machine's name in boldface black lettering, so contact should be possible.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:52 am 

Hi Kevin,

I might add that I am very experienced in two major Unix scripting languages: 1. Shell (Bourne, bash, ksh), and 2. Perl. But most of your customers will not have that expertise. What scripting language does the Windows version of NeoRouter use? What scripting language does the Linux Add-on Manager expect? At a minimum, a Shared Folder add-on must be able get the two relevant 10.x.x.x IP addresses from NeoRouter, then invoke a file manager on the remote (file sharing) client, showing the remote file manager's window on the local client. How do I do that in the Add-on Manager's Script window?

On the off chance that the script desired for Linux is the same as is used for Windows, I looked at a Windows client's Shared Folder script, found one line:

\\%dNRIPAddress%

Tried that in the Linux Add-on manager edit for Shared Folder, reran nrclient.sh,
and as before no response. Nothing.

I need to know how to get Shared Folder working. I want to get free NeoRouter working before possibly switching to another version of NeoRouter. What I want is a minimal and easy-to-use VPN, very similar to Hamachi. My own organization uses Hamachi now.

Perhaps you have some documentation, beyond the User Manual, that tells how to set up Shared Folder on Linux?

Can I send some log files to you? Which log files?

As a last resort, I can try running all Windows 7 clients, no Linux clients (all our machines are dual booted, Windows and Linux). But this is not desirable. Plans for the future require both Windows and Linux clients on the same VPN. We have that now with Hamachi. I think I remember that I had that two years ago when I first tested NeoRouter.

Thanks.