Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No external connections - Raspian
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:15 pm 

Hi -

I have installed both professional server and client installed on my Raspberry Pi. Ports are forwarded and the Dashboard gives me a green light on the standard port.

I am able to connect both the Network and Configuration Explorers from PCs on the same LAN, but only using the IP address, not the Domain Name.

External PCs cannot connect using either Explorer, whether using the Domain Name or the IP address. I have verified that the IP address used is the same one that gives a green light on the NR checkport page.

Error message is 0x8007274c

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: No external connections - Raspian
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:18 pm 

Hi IFS,

Based on your description, it's more like hairpin issue with your router. You can setup the "Server Local Address" setting in the "Connection Option" of NR client to workaround it.

To verify the issue, try to connect to the server in the same side of your server using the public IP address. You may failed to connect to it, but you should be able to connect to the public IP outside the router.

Please take a look at the user manual 3.4.3 or search "hairpin" in the forum, you will see more answers.

Thanks,
KevinZ - Neorouter team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 am 

Hi KevinZ -

The "Server Local Address" setting works for clients on the LAN but that was not the main issue, although it will be important for my laptop.

I still am not able to connect from outside the router, either using the public IP address or the domain.

Even though the ports are forwarded and we have a green light, I'm wondering if the issue has to do with our setup - a Comcast business gateway, then an ASUS RT-N66U. I will try to hook the Pi directly to the gateway and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 pm 

Okay, I have taken the ASUS out of the loop but still no joy.

The Pi is connected directly to the gateway. I have internet and the Dashboard is still giving me a green light. But Configuration Explorer still cannot connect via the public IP address. Nor can I telnet into the public IP on port 32976.

Next, I will try moving the Pi to my home, where I have a working, NR Free server and see if it works there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:15 pm 

I took the Pi home and it worked fine there behind my Comcast residential modem/router, no hairpin, able to connect from external devices via Domain Name or public IP.

So it's not the Pi - must be something to do with the Comcast Business Gateway. This router has a DMZ feature. I tried that and it still didn't work. The Dashboard shows green, the server is up and listening on the right port but external devices cannot connect.

I could call Comcast and ask them if they have access to additional features or protocols they can pass through, but what do I ask for?

Thanks -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 am 

Hi IFS,

I think there are a couple of things may need to confirm.

1.Do they allow you to run the network service? I know some Internet provider prevent users from running any services, such as web server, ftp server and so on, or even block all of them, though allow them connect out.

2.If any port is allowed to provide this kind of service? If so, you can change the listen port of NR server to it. Say if they allow you to use 80/443 or any port to be opened and provide as service, you can change the listen port in NR server.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hi Kevinz -

UPDATE -- Resolved (after a fashion)

I tested using both ports 80 and 443 but that still didn't work.

Comcast says on their website that they do allow web servers, etc. However, when I called them to ask for a resolution, the only suggestion they had was to bridge their modem to our router. This would probably work fine except we are unwilling to pay them an extra $15 per month for a static IP address. (They already screwed us on timing our recent move.) In the end, we decided that the easiest thing to do was to host our NR server from my home, where the Comcast residential router does not have issues. Our Raspberry Pi server is now working fine.

Thanks for the help. We'll be buying Pro shortly.