Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: skip neorouter domain creation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:13 am 

Hello, I can't understand how can I skip creating domain on Ubuntu Linux. In wiki guide says that domain using MANDATORY only WINDOWS platform. In other platforms user can choose use it or not, but how can I choose when nrsetup? And please say why i can't use just ip adress or ddns service on windows like linux? What reason for mandatory on Windows?

Post subject: Re: skip neorouter domain creation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:05 pm 

In the log in window just input the public ip address of the computer where the NR server is located.

For instance, instead of "Log on to: " joesmith input 74.125.239.98 (which is a google.com ipaddress, so obviously you'd want to input your own)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:50 am 

OregonJohn wrote:
In the log in window just input the public ip address of the computer where the NR server is located.

For instance, instead of "Log on to: " joesmith input 74.125.239.98 (which is a google.com ipaddress, so obviously you'd want to input your own)

Yes, I know about this, but actually I means that: http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... t_is_it.3F

In fact, it means that the program(server part) is absolutely not autonomous, and depends entirely on the availability of servers Neorouter. If my ISP or corporate network administrator deny access to these addresses, I can not even change the settings of my server (subnets or listening port). If i attempt to do so without access to the servers of neorouter (LAN without Internet, or firewall settings) its issued an error.

Moreover, I want to allow users to connect to me ONLY by IP address. That is, when installing my server, it forcibly tied to the domain name neorouter.Why it can't be optional?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:18 am 

If I understand the NeoRouter system correctly, creating a domain account is not necessary.

In other ways, if you put in an ip address instead of a domain, how is NeoRouter going to know the domain name for the ip you are connecting to?

You might be right, and I certainly look forward to a formal response from NeoRouter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 am 

OregonJohn wrote:
If I understand the NeoRouter system correctly, creating a domain account is not necessary.

In other ways, if you put in an ip address instead of a domain, how is NeoRouter going to know the domain name for the ip you are connecting to?

You might be right, and I certainly look forward to a formal response from NeoRouter.

Yes, technically it's not necessary (client must know only ip and port to connect), but we really have no choice use domain or not.

Thats what i find in FAQ:
"We have a server to solve and answer the NeoRouter domain queries from NRClient. On Windows, NeoRouter domain is mandatory; on Linux/Mac/in-a-box, users can choose use it or not."

BUT i cant choose this (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). When i run "nrsetup" step 1 ask me question like: "Do you have neorouter domain already?". And if i answer no, i MUST create a new. I haven't seen question like: "Are you really want to create it?" :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm 

I have my server running on a linux system, as far as I know, I never created a domain and use IP:port only.

I also never ran nrsetup on linux system. I agree that it should not force user to create a domain if he does not want to. However, he can avoid domain creation by not running nrsetup, I actually don't even know what nrsetup does after running neorouter for several years.

I just checked all my current connections from the neorouter server linux system: no connections to neorouter.com.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 pm 

ElTopo wrote:
I have my server running on a linux system, as far as I know, I never created a domain and use IP:port only.

I also never ran nrsetup on linux system. I agree that it should not force user to create a domain if he does not want to. However, he can avoid domain creation by not running nrsetup, I actually don't even know what nrsetup does after running neorouter for several years.

I just checked all my current connections from the neorouter server linux system: no connections to neorouter.com.

Firstly i need to say, that its dont neorouter.com. Its adress ip-72-167-40-3.ip.secureserver.net

Check this in your browser, and you go to nerouter site.

Yes, it's not always connected to NR server, ant thats a reason that you cant find it at your connection monitor. As i say it connects ONCE you change neorouter settings like port or subnet. And if you havent connection to the internet, or you blocked neorouter site/ip, you just cant change this settings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 am 

Well, I went to test the idea out and sure enough, now I can't even reinstall neorouter server on my win7 computer.

Here's my little history of this experiment.

I blocked ip-72-167-40-3.ip.secureserver.net with windows firewall
I changed the port with my neorouter options
I got an error message. I think this was it
Signin failed because connection to server cannot be established
hr=0x80070040
Then I tried to log into the client and got the same statement but a different error code
hr=0x8007274c
Then I tried to go online and check my connection.
I was able to log in to my pro account
But the port wasn't open on my computer

I tried a bunch of other stuff
uninstall and reinstall a couple of times
remove those registry entries

Now when I go to reinstall I get the following error
An error occurred while install NeoRouter. The installer will roll back to original status and quit.

So now nothing. I either reinstall win7 (not gonna happen) or I find another machine to act as my server (I assume that would work).

I'm not in immediate need of the program so it can wait. I'll report back if anything changes.

It would be nice is uninstall really uninstalled, then this later problem wouldn't exist.

A response from the NeoRouter team could be good. I'll submit a support request another day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 am 

Well, looks like I can't install any neorouter client on my win7 machine now. kinda screws up my work flow. Hopefully it will work on another machine, but I don't have all my programs installed there. messy situation all around.

I'm glad I tested the system and learned that in fact there is required communication with neorouter servers. I'll have to rethink recommending it to clients in the future, though it sure serves a useful purpose for me.

I hope good responses come from the Neorouter team. Why is there a required connection? Is there a script to completely clean the registry?

John.