Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Updating shared device names
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 pm 

Using the latest versions of NR Free server and client. I moved some machines around my office and swapped drives and reinstalled OSes and NeoRouter. Now the device shares are all messed up and point to the wrong machines. I also reinstalled NeoRouter server in a new Ubuntu VM and that still doesn't fix it. Is there a way to wipe whatever cache is storing the device assignments so that they reflect my new network layout?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Updating shared device names
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 am 

Disclaimer: I am just a user of NeoRouter and regular reader of this discussion board.

I assume your shares aren't working because the virtual ip addresses for the machines that have the shares has changed.

I could be wrong, but try this -- on windows -- open NeoRouter Explorer and click /File/Options/ then enter username/password/domain name or ipaddress. Select "Computers" from the list on the left, select the particular computer you are interested in, you can then click on one of the icons at the top of the computer list to change the IP address.

That works for me but I have the Pro version. If that doesn't work for you, delete the computer from the list and next time the computer logs into the system it will be reassigned an IP address.

this might at least give you a start for troubleshooting. The directions for doing this on Linux are beyond me at the moment.

John in Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 pm 

Thanks, John. I may do that, but It would involve setting up a Windows VM.

Is there some profile on the server or clients that I can delete to reset it? I have uninstalled and re-installed on several machines and the problem persists. The server is a fresh install on a brand new Ubuntu VM. Where is that cache? I'm suspecting it is on the individual clients, but I can't find it. All clients are Macs, BTW.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 pm 

John, I took your advice and found what I needed in Configuration Explorer. It would be really convenient if that functionality was available on the other platforms (aside from the CLI), but at least for now I am happy with my device list. Thanks for pointing the way.