Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cloned drive neorouter server keeps id of original one
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:12 am 

Cloned laptops keep connecting to NeoRouter server with the same ip address, such that only one computer can connect at a time..

NeoRouter Server is on Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (using initd)
NeoRouter clients are on new laptops with Linux Mint 18 Mate (using systemd)

I made an image of my first laptop with clonezilla. It included NeoRouter client
I put that image on another laptop of the same make and model.

I change the host and hostnames of the cloned laptops.

On both laptops I changed the machine-id:

sudo rm /etc/machine-id
sudo systemd-machine-id-setup

and reset the NeoRouter client info:

sudo systemctl stop nrservice
sudo rm /usr/local/ZebraNetworkSystems/NeoRouter/Clients.xml
sudo rm /usr/local/ZebraNetworkSystems/NeoRouter/DNSCache.xml
sudo systemctl start nrservice

I removed the laptop computers from the NeoRouter server using NeoRouter Configuration Explorer in a Win7 computer.

Then logged on
sudo nrclientcmd -d xxx -u xxx -p xxx

I am unable to get those two laptops to be separate ips. When I connect with one (sudo nrclientcmd ... ) that one appears in the Win7 computer list. When I connect with the other, the name remains the same in the computer list but it connects to the second computer. At the same time the name in Configuration Explorer has changed to the new laptop name.

I read the following question
http://www.neorouter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5765
Quote:
so the client can send its HardwareID/HardwareID2 to the server. The server does not remember which user/password you used to login (either admin or normal user, the connection is the same), neither does it need client to login after it's in the known client list.

I assume that is related somehow, and that is the reason I changed the laptop machine-id.

I didn't have this problem when cloning Linux Mint 17.3 Mate laptops, which didn't rely on systemd. I assume my problems have to do with systemd????

Thanks for the great product, been using it for years. Now need to face the strange new world of systemd.

PS - I'm going to try removing nrclient on one of the laptops, then reinstall. I doubt that will help but at least it's something I can do until you get back to me.

John in Oregon

Post subject: Re: cloned drive neorouter server keeps id of original one
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:13 am 

I did uninstall then reinstall on the second laptop. Made no difference, still only one laptop can connect at a time. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:47 pm 

Hi OregonJohn,

Can you check the MAC address of the primary network adapter of your laptops? The MAC address is the HardwareID. If you removed the Clients.xml, so the HardwareID2 dosn't bother you. The HardwareID2 is used for preventing from hacking your system. NR client service will generate a new Clients.xml with a new hardwareID2. Those IDs are good, can you check ifconfig, see if you have "eth0"? By default , NR get the MAC address from "eth", if you use something else, it may not pick it up. Open the Clients.xml, what's the HardwareID NR gets?

However, you can specify a NIC name in Feature.ini or a Hardware ID to make NR use the fake string as ID (check out this: http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... ationFiles)
NicInterfaceName=eth
OR
HardwareId=

Thanks,
KevinZ - Neorouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm 

Thanks kevinz.

I modified the HardwareId= line in /usr/local/ZebraNetworkSystems/NeoRouter/Feature.ini

That worked like a charm.

John in Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 pm 

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 am 

Not sure it's good to post this question here. I'm bit struggling to find out what has gone wrong. I have a router (as a gateway 192.168.1.1) running openwrt and i have a device connected via the ethernet port 1. So this device (192.168.1.20) has a webpage which it's on port 80 and I have configured my router's webpage listen on port 81.