Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Upgrading from Free to Pro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 pm 

Hi, I've done a test case on the free software for 100+ remote unattended computers. Everything has gone super and I am ready to upgrade to the Pro edition.

Is there a guide to follow on how to upgrade from Free to Pro. I would like to know of any shortcomings before I drop $300 on this.

Specifically, will I need to do anything with the clients such as reinstall? Or will they pickup the license from the server?

Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Free to Pro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:59 pm 

Hi Torchify,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter. I'm afraid that you may want to reinstall them all.

To upgrade NR Free to Pro, basically you may want to rebuild the whole NeoRouter network with NR Pro product, as NR Pro server doesn't accept NR Free client. It means you have to upgrade all NR Free client with NR Pro client and upgrade the NR Free server with NR Pro server. Since NR Pro server uses different database, you may lost your existing settings from NR Free and all clients need to sign in/register to NR Pro server.

The NR Pro license/product key is applied to the NR server instead of NR client.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:43 am 

Can the Pro version get installed alongside the free version to smooth the transition or will it install over top? If they can co-exist for a period, I can transition easily.

Or would it be better to install it on a second testing server, create the new DB, start transitioning all clients. then once the client transition is complete transfer the new pro instance over to the production server by copying db?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:37 pm 

Hi Torchify,

NR Pro and Free cannot be installed side by side. To minimize the downtime, it would be better to upgrade the NR client from Free to Pro first, as NR Free server accepts NR Pro clients. Once all NR clients get upgraded to the NR Pro, you can choose an approach to upgrade the NR Server to Pro.

1.You can setup a separate NR server (cannot use the same NR domain name, but you can use the IP:port to sign in), go to each client computer, sign in to the new Pro server until all clients get registered, then shutdown the old NR Free server.

2.Upgrade the NR Free server to Pro, then register NR clients to the new server.

3.You can upgrade the NR Free to Pro, stop the NR server, copy the NR Free database file NeoRouter_0_0_1.db to NeoRouter_0_0_2.db and overwrite the database file created by the NR Pro server. It's a practical approach, and it's on your own risk. Basically NR Pro has a database file NeoRouter_0_0_2.db while NR Free has a database file NeoRouter_0_0_1.db. Those databases are compatible , but the data can be different. It allows you to keep the existing data from NR Free.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team