Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Issues with Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 am 

I am having issues getting a Mac to connect to a shared folder on another device. I have 5-6 PCs (all remote) that can connect fine. This new Mac (also remote) can login to the domain but because the folder is password protected, I need to map the network drive (so I can enter the login/password). But, I never get to that step as when I try and connect to server (COmmand K), and i enter smb and the NR IP address (in proper form)
but get an error message before it even asks for the password/ID.

I get message "There was a problem connecting to server "10.0.0.2" The server may not exist or it is unavailable..."

Note that I have tried this computer at a different location to see if it was a network issue at location of this computer, but that didnt help either.

Can you please help?

Post subject: Re: Issues with Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:12 pm 

Hi tjones34,

On MacOS, please try to ping a remote computer using NR virtual IP address. If it works, it means the NR virtual network is good. (If not and you are sure the ping should work, check the tun device with ifconfig command see if you have the NR virtual IP setup. Assume you have installed the proper tun driver for MacOS)

If NR virtual network is good, the issue is actually the application level issue, in most cases they are OS setting issues, i.e. access shared folder on a remote computer via SMB/CIFS protocol. To troubleshoot, you can check if it works using the physical network. Note: NR client doesn't come with SMB client nor server, the computers should have SMB c/s running / setup properly. Another thing you may want to check is some OS firewall may block some ports from specific network interfaces. As you use NR virtual network, the interface will be different from the local one.

Let us know if any question or concern.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team