Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: nrclientcmd will not connect
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:31 pm 

I am running into issues with Ubuntu 16.04 and NeoRouter. When I run nrclientcmd

I get the following error message.

"Signin failed. NeoRouter will retry automatically.
Transport endpoint is not connected"

I cannot seem to figure out what is wrong and I believe that it is with the machine that is running neorouter. I am thinking it is with the server.

Any hints?

Post subject: Re: nrclientcmd will not connect
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 am 

rh10023 wrote:
I am running into issues with Ubuntu 16.04 and NeoRouter. When I run nrclientcmd

I get the following error message.

"Signin failed. NeoRouter will retry automatically.
Transport endpoint is not connected"

I cannot seem to figure out what is wrong and I believe that it is with the machine that is running neorouter. I am thinking it is with the server.

Any hints?

Login to the neorouter panel. (The Login button is currently in the upper right of this page). On the status page it takes you to, click "test". If it works, then there's a good chance the problem is NOT the server. If you reboot the server and it still happens, I'd look closer at the client, and making sure you have IP connectivity (ie, try the server IP instead of the domain name service).

Also, it would have been good if you indicated this was a new install or an existing install that has been working up until now/some event.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm 

MaxBlitzer wrote:
rh10023 wrote:

Login to the neorouter panel. (The Login button is currently in the upper right of this page). On the status page it takes you to, click "test". If it works, then there's a good chance the problem is NOT the server. If you reboot the server and it still happens, I'd look closer at the client, and making sure you have IP connectivity (ie, try the server IP instead of the domain name service).

Also, it would have been good if you indicated this was a new install or an existing install that has been working up until now/some event.

This is an existing install that stopped working when I changed from a Linksys Router to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm 

rh10023 wrote:
MaxBlitzer wrote:
rh10023 wrote:

This is an existing install that stopped working when I changed from a Linksys Router to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter.

So the server is behind the new Ubnt router? If so, did you create a port forward rule from the wan interface to the nrserver on port 32976?

What did you get when you tested connectivity using the Neorouter login panel? That is what confirms whether issue is on client or server side. If it fails, its clearly not reaching the port on your nrserver.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am 

MaxBlitzer wrote:

So the server is behind the new Ubnt router? If so, did you create a port forward rule from the wan interface to the nrserver on port 32976?

What did you get when you tested connectivity using the Neorouter login panel? That is what confirms whether issue is on client or server side. If it fails, its clearly not reaching the port on your nrserver.
[/quote][/quote]

Yes server is behind the UBNT router.

I created a port forward rule on the WAN Interface to the nrserver on port 32976.

Tested the connection from the Neorouter login panel on neorouter.com. Checked out ok.

Little bit at loss what is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am 

Still a problem? I have had much trouble connecting from any kind of Linux to a file server on a Win 7 machine. Is your file server a Win 7 machine? If so, the workaround is to get on the Win 7 machine and check for updates, and install every one of them, even the optional updates. Then reboot the Win 7 machine. Immediately power it off, and then reboot again (sometimes power off and reboot works better than a mere restart, and sometimes two successive reboots are needed).

These problems started in summer of 2017 after years of using Ubuntu and Win 7 machines with NeoRouter with no problems at all, and problems continue to this day, 3/12/18. Something about the presence of pending updates on the Win 7 machine screws up the remote access connection's credentials check (for a shared folder, I don't use remote desktop).

The permanent solution is to make the file server either a Win 10 or a Linux machine -- both work great with remote access via NeoRouter, at least while using Ubuntu 16.04. Win 10 had problems earlier, but not since version 1709. I have tried Ubuntu MATE and also Linux Mint, dual booted on the same hardware as Ubuntu 16.04, but both MATE and Mint have problems that Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have. Same Samba and Samba configuration file in all three cases, but the login credentials windows are different in MATE and Mint (and different from each other), so I suspect problems there, in addition to the Win 7 pending updates problem.

I do NOT suspect problems with NeoRouter (using the free Linux version), not at all.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 pm 

bluejay41 wrote:
Still a problem? I have had much trouble connecting from any kind of Linux to a file server on a Win 7 machine. Is your file server a Win 7 machine? If so, the workaround is to get on the Win 7 machine and check for updates, and install every one of them, even the optional updates. Then reboot the Win 7 machine. Immediately power it off, and then reboot again (sometimes power off and reboot works better than a mere restart, and sometimes two successive reboots are needed).

These problems started in summer of 2017 after years of using Ubuntu and Win 7 machines with NeoRouter with no problems at all, and problems continue to this day, 3/12/18. Something about the presence of pending updates on the Win 7 machine screws up the remote access connection's credentials check (for a shared folder, I don't use remote desktop).

The permanent solution is to make the file server either a Win 10 or a Linux machine -- both work great with remote access via NeoRouter, at least while using Ubuntu 16.04. Win 10 had problems earlier, but not since version 1709. I have tried Ubuntu MATE and also Linux Mint, dual booted on the same hardware as Ubuntu 16.04, but both MATE and Mint have problems that Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have. Same Samba and Samba configuration file in all three cases, but the login credentials windows are different in MATE and Mint (and different from each other), so I suspect problems there, in addition to the Win 7 pending updates problem.

I do NOT suspect problems with NeoRouter (using the free Linux version), not at all.

Hope this helps.

You misunderstand the issue, completely. OP's problem is Neorouter sign in related. Your reply is for samba network access AFTER a successful neorouter login. You're describing the WannaCry issue, where Win7 was likely using samba v1 before and after updates are using samba 2. You'll probably notice it won't talk to XP anymore, either.