Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter bypass VPN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 pm 

I hope you guys never get tired of hearing this but thanks for a great piece of software that still offers a free very usable tier.

Now onto the bit you probably do tire of hearing, my problem:
I am using NeoRouter Free on a couple Windows 7 machines at different locations. Both have VPNs running for general internet traffic (downloads, browsing, etc) which is causing problems when NeoRouter is connecting.

When running the server it picks up the IP of the VPN interface rather than the physical interface which cause the majority of clients to not be able to connect to it, what surprised me was some could but they were in the minority. To solve this I put the server in a VM, not idea but it worked as I could bind that to the physical interface and go straight out over the internet.

The problem now is when trying to transfer files between 2 NeoRouter clients (that are inevitably both sending traffic over NeoRouter via the VPN) the connection is very slow and dropping constantly as you may expect.

So my question is, is there anyway to bind NeoRouter to the physical interface of the PC and therefore bypassing the VPN? or any other way for it to bypass the VPN?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter bypass VPN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am 

Hi litlec,

NeoRouter virtual network has no difference from a physical network when it's activated, just like a host machine has multiple network interfaces.

Usually a server app would listen on a port of all network interfaces, however some server apps allow one specify a specific one. If your server app supports this configuration, you can give it a try to prevent it from listening on NeoRouter network.

Another reason would be your NeoRouter network DHCP range (default is 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0) conflicts with one of your physical networks, hence some traffic got routed to a wrong machine. If so, you can change the DHCP settings from NeoRouter Config to a different network range.

Also some OS allows one change the order of the network interface (when have multiple), by default NR network is put itself to the last. You can check the settings and change NR to the last if it's not.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm 

Hi KevinZ,

Thanks for your response.

My problem isn't traffic is heading to the wrong interface but with the route NeoRouter takes to when initiating its login connection to the server.

Once my VPN is connected, all traffic is sent via that TAP 'virtual' interface, which under normal circumstances is great and the intended outcome to hide my traffic from my ISP. Unfortunately this is causing latency when NeoRouter is connecting over the VPN.

So basically I have a tunnel within a tunnel and packets are taking far too long to get to their destination. This is more of a problem with my VPN provider who I wont be renewing my subscription with next year, but until then I need a work around.

What I am trying to figure out is if it is possible to bind the NeoRouter application to the physical Gigabit interface so all NeoRouter traffic is sent over it and it does not touch the VPN.

The solution could be something as simple as putting static routes to all NeoRouter IP addresses in the Windows routing table or maybe a line of config in an XML/config files NeoRouter uses but I am not sure what those settings might be.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:51 am 

litlec wrote:
Hi KevinZ,

Thanks for your response.

My problem isn't traffic is heading to the wrong interface but with the route NeoRouter takes to when initiating its login connection to the server.

Once my VPN is connected, all traffic is sent via that TAP 'virtual' interface, which under normal circumstances is great and the intended outcome to hide my traffic from my ISP. Unfortunately this is causing latency when NeoRouter is connecting over the VPN.

So basically I have a tunnel within a tunnel and packets are taking far too long to get to their destination. This is more of a problem with my VPN provider who I wont be renewing my subscription with next year, but until then I need a work around.

What I am trying to figure out is if it is possible to bind the NeoRouter application to the physical Gigabit interface so all NeoRouter traffic is sent over it and it does not touch the VPN.

The solution could be something as simple as putting static routes to all NeoRouter IP addresses in the Windows routing table or maybe a line of config in an XML/config files NeoRouter uses but I am not sure what those settings might be.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks

Can you see if you can login to Neorouter FIRST, then connect to VPN and see if the Neorouter traffic stays off the VPN?

Also, from a command prompt, can you paste the output of "route print" when connected to VPN and Neorouter? That will give a better idea of what's happening. I think the best chance of a workaround is using the Metric allocation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 am 

I'm using NeoRouter Free to manage the VPNs for my websites. Currently, I'm putting every website server on the VPN I host at home 24h/24, but I'd like to install NeoRouter Server on each server.
netgearroutersupportnumber.com/blog/how-to-reset-to-factory-defaults-settings-of-netgear-router-r6300v2/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 am 

litlec wrote:
or any other way for it to bypass the VPN?

Thanks

Yes i research on this and found an alternative "NordVPN" service that helps.