Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NR Pro and reconnection on Android
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm 

Hi,
I am running a NR free server on a stationary computer at home. On the computer where my server is running and on my laptop the clients are working just as expected but on my handheld devices the functionality is a bit of a disappointment.
I have installed NR Pro on a Sony ZX1 (Android 8) and a Samsung Tab S2 (Android 6 or 7). Both installations behave the same way. My problem is that I find it being too manually. My phone and tab are seldom turned off, so that NR not startup and reconnect automatically when turning on phone and/or tab is not a big problem. A bigger problem is that it doesn't reconnect after longer or shorter breaks in my network connection unless the app is active on the screen. But even then it doesn't work more then a couple of times before I need to restart the app to get connection. Annoying is also that when I put my phone/tab in flight mode NR Pro immediately tell me that I have lost connection by bringing the app to the front (only if the app is active in the background). I kind of know that already when I put my handhelds in flight mode.
Is there a way to make it work more automatically with less noise?
Best regards
Lars

Post subject: Re: NR Pro and reconnection on Android
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am 

NR Pro is good for Android device and it is compatible with it. You have found a problem with your device but it is problem with wireless audio so you can change it and use other as an alternative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

ashleybutler wrote:
NR Pro is good for Android device and it is compatible with it. You have found a problem with your device but it is problem with wireless audio so you can change it and use other as an alternative

Hi, stupid me using the word "noise" when I talk about things happening on the screen of my handheld units. This problem has nothing to do with wireless audio.
I don't see this as a compatibility issue. More lack of funktionallity. But the fact that I have to restart NRPro to get connection rather oft could be a compatibility problem, but I think more it is a bug since I have the same problem on units with different brand and different Android version.
I just want the NRpro to automatically stay connected to my server when my Android units are connected to the Internet.

Best regards
Lars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:34 pm 

Lars wrote:
ashleybutler wrote:

Hi, stupid me using the word "noise" when I talk about things happening on the screen of my handheld units. This problem has nothing to do with wireless audio.
I don't see this as a compatibility issue. More lack of funktionallity. But the fact that I have to restart NRPro to get connection rather oft could be a compatibility problem, but I think more it is a bug since I have the same problem on units with different brand and different Android version.
I just want the NRpro to automatically stay connected to my server when my Android units are connected to the Internet.

Best regards
Lars

I don't think Neorouter intends for you to be mobile roaming. I think when they say "roam", they just mean sign in on same account from different locations easily. The protocols they use are not good for IP changes and crossing networks, hence the issues. I think they expected users to use it on demand in one place, not as an always connected mobile phone. Your traffic isn't going through your home connection, so I would say always-on connectivity is not a supported feature or goal of Neorouter.

The free server hasn't been updated in over 3 years and is behind on bugs they fixed in the Pro server. I think they abandoned development.

For mobile usage, you're better off with IKEv2 or new wireguard vpn which are designed for roaming use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm 

Thanks for your answer MaxBlitzer,

I like the NeoRoter solution which gives me a kind of an virtual extra network connection. When I use a traditional VPN solution all my network traffic will use this connection. My internet connection at home (where I assume my VPN server should be placed) isn't fast enough for that. When I use the NeoRouter solution, only the traffic adressed for ip-adresses on my NeoRouter net uses my home connection (at least on my computers it seems to work like that).
Is there some other solution out there that does something similar?

Best regards
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 pm 

Lars wrote:
Thanks for your answer MaxBlitzer,

I like the NeoRoter solution which gives me a kind of an virtual extra network connection. When I use a traditional VPN solution all my network traffic will use this connection. My internet connection at home (where I assume my VPN server should be placed) isn't fast enough for that. When I use the NeoRouter solution, only the traffic adressed for ip-adresses on my NeoRouter net uses my home connection (at least on my computers it seems to work like that).
Is there some other solution out there that does something similar?

Best regards
Lars

Nearly all VPN's can do that, its usually a configuration option to tell the client to route traffic through the VPN or not. Work VPN's will often be configured that way, so remote workers can use office resources but not be handling the Internet for all their remote employees.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm 

Thanks again for answers MaxBlitzer,

I already have a OpenVPN server up and running in my home router which I every now and then use from my computer when I need something from my home network. If I can set up my clients (in computer and phone) so that the VPN tunnel is only used when it's needed (ip-adresses at home), I can let my VPN client stay connected permanently and I don't need NeoRouter at all anymore. The next question is how to do that? But that is a question for an other forum :-)

Best regards
Lars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 am 

My internet connection at home is not fast. When I use the New Router solution, only the traffic addressed for ip-addresses on my New Router net uses my home connection. The protocols they use are not good for IP changes and crossing networks, hence the issues. I think they expected users to use it on demand in one place, not as an always connected mobile phone.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:51 am 

What a useless comment above.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:19 pm 

on iPAD of my Boss we had installed neorouter client free 1.9 ver.
ALL features - including moving the whole desktop in a full-screen mode WERE in a working state. But after a silent update to 2.1 Boss now can't move the desktop. It's a huge pain - on his 2-monitors system. He can't use all space of those devices