Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Add a Computer" does not see any computers?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:54 pm 

Hi,

I am testing neorouter now in LAN (so there should be no port forwarding issues).

My server: Debian with neorouter-0.9-4.906.i386.deb installed.
My two clients: Windows XP Professional + SP3, running the portable neorouter viewer (version: 0.9.4.881[1].

When I use "NeoRouter Configuration Explorer" to log on my server, I can see that my two clients are online, with neorouter's firewall turned off for my user "lxl", and both computers are allowed to be accessed by user "lxl":

However, when I use "NeoRouter Network Viewer" to log on the my server as user "lxl", and try to add a computer, there's no computers showing up in the list:

What could cause that?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: "Add a Computer" does not see any computers?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm 

Hi ElTopo,

Yes. It's by design.

There are two kinds of computers can be registered to the virtual network when user log on to a domain.

A. Permanent Computer
If you log on using NeoRouter Network Explorer from a computer, it will be registered to the network as permanent and can be seen by other computers. For example: the computer at home or your office or the computer you have enough permission to install NeoRouter.

B. Temporary Comptuer
If you log on using NeoRouter Viewer, the computer will be registered as temporary type and hide from other computer, for example computers at public library, airport or hotel. Generally you don't have admin permission of the computer and you don't want to leave your private message on it. So, when you close Viewer, the computer will be removed from the server's computer list.

From your screen shot, I can see you log on to your domain using Viewer from both WINCEDEV and DELXPLXL, so both of them are temporary. You may want to install the NeoRouter client instead of running viewer.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 am 

kevinZ,

Thanks for the explanation, now I see the difference between the full Explorer and the portable Viewer. I installed Explorer on one XP system and the other Viewer sees the 'Explorer' computer.

I also noticed that the portable viewer does not install the virtual NIC (NeoRouter Connection), it does make sense for the public systems, but that also means if I use Viewer I won't be able to talk to the permanent computer by using 8.x.x.x IP directly, right? If I want to use vncviewer to access the remote desktop (running vncserver) from Viewer, how can I do it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:56 am 

Hi ElTopo,

Viewer has the same features as NE. Though it does not install virtual NIC, it understands the virtual network and will be allocated a virtual IP. ;) So you can use any TCP based applications from Viewer to talk to any permanent computer. The only limitation is you have to run it from Viewer, so that it can bring it into virtual network.

Like NE, you can run remote desktop, VNC, IE, Firefox or other applicaitons from the the quick launch bar. You can also custom your own applications by add-on features.

Tips:

1. Remote access a computer using remote desktop
Click on the icon of an active computer, click the remote desktop icon.

2. Use VNC
Install the VNC add-on for NeoRouter, click on the icon of an active computer, click the remote desktop icon.

3. Use browsers, such as IE or firefox
Some public computers may log all your network traffic when you access Internet, but you don't want your private information such as photos recorded. How to avoid this?
You can setup a proxy (3proxy add-on) at home, then run Viewer from any computer. Before using, you may want to add a new add-on for IE or firefox, change the proxy setting pointing to your proxy server running on the virtual network. Launch IE or firefox from the Viewer.

4. If you want to try, you can ping from a permanent computer to the Viewer using the virtual IP.

5. Viewer cannot provide services so far, e.g. you cannot run vncserver on the Viewer.

Enjoy it,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:14 pm 

kevinZ,

Thank you very much for the input!

How to run my own application from "Viewer" to talk to the "Explorer" computer? do I have to write some add-on for it?

and, is Linux version of "Explorer" coming soon?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:52 am 

Hi ElTopo,

To launch your application from Viewer, you may want to create a new add-on for it. No coding, just setting.

Check out our document http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php/NeoRouterWiki:AddOnManager

Client version for Linux is in our plan, but not soon. If more users request for Linux client, we may pump up the priority.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:49 am 

kevinZ, many many thanks for you help!