Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to... Start.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 am 

I am almost completely ignorant when it comes to networking. I've worked at home with LAN and WLAN internet-sharing networks, and a PC-to-PC LAN for an old game years ago (done through W2K with the simple, default Windows setup); I know just about nothing regarding ports, proxies and protocols. The extent of my network security skills is 'set a strong password'. I learned of NeoRouter earlier today while searching to figure out how to set up Remote Desktop between my home PC (XP Pro) and my semi-new laptop (Vista Home Premium); a process that I, again, know next-to-nothing about.

After learning of and reading about a bunch of VPN software, NeoRouter seemed like the best choice (especially since I prefer open-source software, and considering the portable version). Having learned about its capabilities, I want to do three things:

- Set up Remote Desktop between my home PC and laptop (to access the PC from the laptop)

- Set up a VPN between both just for file access (I think RD would serve my purposes better here, though, as I basically want to be able to access all of my PC's files through my laptop remotely, but I don't know if I can pull files through RD--I've never used it.)

- I gather that this would be automatic if the system is set up correctly, but I'd like to access RD and the VPN with the portable version of NeoRouter Viewer--the laptop-to-PC setup wouldn't really be necessary if I can use any system my thumb-drive works on. If it is that simple, I'll want to be able to access my laptop files remotely, too.

So far, I've installed NeoRouter Server & Network Explorer, created a domain & admin account, and failed to log in a few times. (I thought I'd try.) I live on a college campus, and my internet comes through the college's LAN (which I think puts me on a "residential router"?), but I don't think there's even a way for me to check if they support UPnP, nor do I have the slightest clue how to "add a static port forward entry".

Beyond that, I hardly even know if my computer is set up correctly in the first place, so I want to figure out if it is (I figure that if the router is already set up correctly, I don't need to know the college's network setup). I know enough to navigate the Windows Firewall settings, but I don't want to attempt to open a port before I know what I'm doing--and how to do it safely. I also don't know how to find my IP address. (I've done it through command line before, but have since forgotten.)

I also don't know if I can access my domain from the host computer, which is how I tried to 'test' it (read: log in).

So... any ideas?

Post subject: Re: How to... Start.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am 

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter.

To setup the NeoRouter server, you may want to open a public port to the Internet. See here: http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php/NeoRouterWiki:FAQ#Should_I_open_an_port_to_the_Internet.3F

Most users meet the prerequisite. I'd like to help you to check it out. Can you go to the "Command Prompt", type "tracert www.neorouter.com" and post the result?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 am 

Hey KevinZ,

Thanks for the help. This reply is late; I had some BSOD issue that seems to be resolved (unrelated to NR, from what I can tell), and I was away from home for the weekend.

Results of "tracert http://www.neorouter.com":

Tracing route to [...] maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.205.8.1
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 172.22.253.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
[...]
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

(Off-topic, for future reference: is there a way to copy CL info to the clipboard?)

The tracert command did similarly the first time I tried (Friday night), but went up to about the 5th or 6th before the requests started timing out. (I blue-screened before it could complete.)

The link given on the page you specified to 'verify my port open port' (http://www.neorouter.com/checkport.php) claims that my IP is 'open' and the NeoRouter server is active, but I did the scan with IP that was already filled in. (I don't recall having manually opened the port, and I sadly don't know how to check for my own IP myself.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:44 am 

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for your help. Your tracert info is very helpful.

But the computer you tested seems not good enough for installing the server, as it is behind 2 NAT, e.g. your computer is inside your router and maybe a campus router.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.205.8.1
2 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 172.22.253.1

In this way, you may want to make port forwarding on both routers before the server works.

Another alternative solution is if you just need to use it inside your campus, you can use the server IP (campus IP) instead of the domain name. I believe it should work.

Let us know if need help.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:10 pm 

I thought my situation would be something like that... I doubt I'd have authorization to enable port forwarding on the campus' networks. One is probably for the school's general internet and the second is probably for my residence hall. I could make a request, but I'd have to find out where/who to even ask, and I doubt they'd allow a student to open ports in their system to get some personal software up and running.

I don't know which of those IPs (if either) is my server IP, but it would be useful to be able to at least use it on campus, although I'd like to use from anywhere I have internet (I visit home and generally leave campus pretty often). However, I don't really know how to set up the NeoRouter server with just an IP. (Or at all, it seems.)

Are the results of the 'checkport.php' page even relevant? Is there a possibility that I could house my server online and have the same functionality, as some of the wiki seems to suggest?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 am 

Hi Nomad,

I thinks you have at least 2 solutions.

1. If you can setup the nrserver outside your campus, for example: your parents' home or your friends home, it's the easiest way for you to remotely access any computer from anywhere.

2. Setup the nrserver for your campus use ONLY. If so, the "checkport" does not work for you. I think you can refer to the following steps:

a. setup the server and the client and try to log on to the server from your local computer using the IP address. For example: log on to "10.205.8.x"

b. once you get (a) done, both the server and the client are working actually. Now, you need to open the port on the router the campus gave to you. Generally, you can use the browser to log in to the admin page to do this. But you need to figure out your router's model and admin console IP. From your tracert result, it looks like your console IP should be 10.205.8.1. (maybe I was wrong)

c. From the router's admin page, I think you can see the router's external IP, it should be 172.22.253.x.

So all you need to do is setup portforwarding and find out your router's external IP. Then you can access any computer in your campus using the external IP, e.g. a 172.22.253.x . You can simply log on to 172.22.253.x or 172.22.253.x:32976

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:06 pm 

Rather than start a new topic, I have added to this topic. If the admins think it should be moved, then please feel free to move it....
My initial experience which may help someone else.

Using internal network to test remote access.
Set up Server on( IP 192.168.0.4 ) and Client on laptop ( 192.168.0.3 ) for both NICs to Wake-up-on-LAN via Control Panel - > System - > Hardware - > Device Manager - > Network Adapter - > Advanced - > Wakeup.... - > Enable.
Operating System is Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Opened router via web browser, http://192.168.0.1, entered administration and password, enabled uPNP and rebooted router.

Set up domain name during Server install with administration and administration password. Able to connect client to server machine, used ping, show shared folders but not able to remote access ffrom the server to client machine.

Next stage.
Opened Netgear DG834G wireless router, added TCP/UDP service with port 32976, adjusted router firewall settings and forwarded port 32976 to server machine, IP 192.168.0.4.

This section was uninstalled after being able to connect.
{
On Server, with Control Panel - > Windows Firewall - > Exceptions, added port 32976 as NeoRouter for TCP and added Exception port 32976 as NeoRouter for UDP.
On Client, with Control Panel - > Windows Firewall - > Exceptions, added port 32976 as NeoRouter for TCP and added Exception port 32976 as NeoRouter for UDP.
}
Able to remote connect Client to Server, but not able to remote connect from Server to Client. Connection lost and unable to reconnect.

Login in as administrator and set with “Create a direct peer-to-peer TCP connection” but still unreliable connection with ping timeouts.
Closed down machines overnight and tried to reestablish connections next morning. Unable to connect at all on either machine.

Uninstall Neorouter, attempt to reinstall but unable to use existing domain (already registered ), and unable to create new domain ( cannot find the domain name ). NeoRouter deletes unused domain names after six months of nonuse.
Generate new domain name.

On Server, install uPNP from Control Panel - > Add or Remove Programs - > Add or Remove Windows Components - > Networking Services - > Details - > tick UpnP User Interface. Close Add Remove programs.

Using Configuration Explorer, logged into new domain, added users, passwords.
Using Network Explorer, connect from server and client, add computers to each of Server and Client.
Pings from Server to Client timing out, log into domain name and reset domain connection from UDP to TCP.
Now able to remote from Client to Server.
Uninstall uPNP on Router, unable to connect without errors, reinstall.
Uninstall uPNP on Server, unable to connect without errors, reinstall.
Still unable to remote from Server machine to Client machine.
Remove Windows Firewall Exception ports on Server and Client.
Able to remote from Client to Server.
Still unable to remote from Server machine to Client machine.
Shall attempt external connection from WAN client to Server when next able to.