Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VPN How To
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:01 am 

I have searched the community messages and have found only light references to VPN setup. Setting up NeoRouter has been done with great success but how does one use it as a VPN? For instance, I need to setup a VPN so data backup can be done regularly through the VPN. How is this accomplished?

Post subject: Re: VPN How To
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:20 am 

So further testing/research on my own produced some ideas that actually work. Further discussion and ideas on this are welcome also.

I'm using WinXP Pro in this situ. Using the NeoRouter Network Explorer I selected the computer I wanted and chose the Shared Folder. Then I chose the folder I wished to backup over the VPN, right-clicked on it and chose Map Network Drive and created a new network drive for this (called it X: for this test). Then I was able to easily create a backup/synchronization using my favorite backup program (Syncback).

Hope this helps others and ignites more discussion and ideas.

Post subject: Never take for granted
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:35 am 

Realize that some are unsure how to get things to be visible in the Shared Folder that comes with each computer added to the NeoRouter Network Explorer. One needs to go to that computer physically and create a shared folder of what you want to see. To see how this works just create a Test folder on the C:/ (main) drive, right-click on this folder and share it. Decide whether you want this to be editable by others by selecting Allow Network Users to Change my Files, or not as the case may be. Such shared folders are what will be seen on the Shared Folder of the computers in NeoRouter Network Explorer.

Post subject: What to backup.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 am 

Just for the sake of clarity, it's best not to do full backups over the network. This can take a very long time for large backups. Chance of failure due to a downtime in the network is not desirable. Best to use a synchronized backup where only files that are changed or new are backed up. This speeds up the backup and lessens the chance of mistakes/errors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm 

Hi Dagoles,

Thanks for your explanation.

Another way to backup is SyncToy from Microsoft. Since NeoRouter creates a virtual LAN over the Internet, you can use this tool to backup your files now.

Enjoy,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

Last edited by kevinz on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Sync Toy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm 

Thanks for the update on Sync Toy. Have tried it in the past but was not impressed back then. Took a look and it looks like they've really improved it. Looks quite similar in action and ability to SyncBack. Another good option.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 pm 

Hi, I use to backup my files thru VPN in Windows environnement with rsync solution for win: Delta Copy.
It make a called "delta copy" of the files very fast and usefully, only the changed bytes in files are sobsituited.
With that you don't need mapping or share nothing, nobody in the same VPN can see the data. Is a Unix based sistem, it work on Linux to, BSD and so on (it was made for that systems..). And it was maked for networks backups.
Hope that can help somebody...
Best regards.
Filippo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 am 

If you want reliable file transfer with retry and re-connect, then install filezilla server on the machine you want to take files from, and filezilla ftp on the machine you want to transfer to, then connect using the neorouter ip :) - This can also be schedualed, and you have direct control over security; who can use the ftp server, and what they can transfer etc.