Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wake on Lan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm 

Hi all,

I was wondering about the wake on lan capability of neorouter.

If I have neorouter between two machines, both behind NAT, how would wake on lan work? With the machine in an off state the tunnel would be down and wol packets would not be recieved.

I'm asking this as I saw wol as one of neorouter's features.

Thanks,

Richard

Post subject: Re: Wake on Lan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 pm 

Thanks for your interest in NeoRouter.

Wake On LAN works for machines within the same LAN as the NeoRouter server. The NeoRouter server will send the magic packet.

This feature is mainly designed for Home and Small Business users who try to access the Home/Office LAN remotely.

Luke - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm 

I think this program is a very useful. It saves me a lot of grief. I wish I could contribute. However here is my question: of all the computers I have to access remotely one of them (Vista Home premium) does not wake-on-lan. One identical does. Where should I look? BIOS maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 am 

WOL must be enabled in both the BIOS and the Windows network card settings. NeoRouter installer is able to enable the network card automatically; but you will have to make the BIOS change manually.

Please take a look at this document (just updated)

http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... ote_access.

Let me know if you have more questions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm 

I was able to fix this by changing the network card. Now the computer wakes on lan all the time. However I have different issues and I am going to post them in the relevant threads. thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:42 am 

Can you explain how this will work on a client? The VPN tunnel is terminated in the software on the pc, thus while the machine is switched off, how does the WOL packet ever get to the network interface? :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 am 

Hi LimaMike,

Thanks for your interest in NeoRouter. You probably missed Luke's post above, where he explained. :)

Quote:
Wake On LAN works for machines within the same LAN as the NeoRouter server. The NeoRouter server will send the magic packet.

Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
NeoRouter WOL Howto : http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php/NeoRouterWiki:NetworkExplorer#Remote_access

So, if your computer in the same LAN as the server, WOL will work for you. When you click on the "WOL" button on the quick-launch bar of a remote computer, the NeoRouter client will tell the NeoRouter server to activate the sleeping PC you specified. After the computer gets active, the NeoRouter client service running on it gets back to work and the VPN tunnel is activated.

If your NeoRouter server is running on a computer, the computer should be always running. The best way is let the NeoRouter server (in-a-box) run on a router. Then, all of your home computers can be sleeping when you leave home and you can wake them up anytime. After done your jobs, let them sleep again.

Let us know, if you still have question.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:39 pm 

I misread, for sure! Tnx for the rapid response!