Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to Restrict Machine Access via NeoRouter Connection ONLY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:01 am 

Hi,
How do I make sure that I am only sharing files/printers via NeoRouter connections which is secured in Windows 7. I notice whenever I enable file/printer sharing, I can see use NeoRouter connection to access different machines on the NeoRouter Connection, but I still can access it outside the NeoRouter Connection using "Network" on the Windows 7 Desktop. This defeats the purpose of NeoRouter since there is still a way to connect to the machines without having to go through NeoRouter..Please help

Thanks

Post subject: Re: How to Restrict Machine Access via NeoRouter Connection ONLY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 am 

If I understand correctly, you hope a computer A can be access via NeoRouter Connection from outside ONLY. (Correct me if I was wrong).

You can put the A in a NAT or subnet, so that no one can access it outside the subnet, but A can go out to the Internet.Then the only way to access to it is the NeoRouter Connection.

For example: Internet <--> Router <--> ..<-->NAT or subnet device<-->A

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:48 pm 

[quote="kevinz"]If I understand correctly, you hope a computer A can be access via NeoRouter Connection from outside ONLY. (Correct me if I was wrong).

You can put the A in a NAT or subnet, so that no one can access it outside the subnet, but A can go out to the Internet.Then the only way to access to it is the NeoRouter Connection.

For example: Internet <--> Router <--> ..<-->NAT or subnet device<-->A

No, it is more like I was hoping computer A can talk to computer B via NeoRouter without the files accessible by simply going to "Network->(Computer Name)", but via "Network->Computer A's NeoRouter Address (e.g. 10.0.1)" ONLY. In Hamachi, this is possible. I wonder if NeoRouter can do this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 pm 

Got you. Of cause NeoRouter can do this.

1. On Win7, go to the Network and Sharing Center, you will see multiple networks. By default, NeoRouter Connection is set to "Work Network".
2. Change your main network (Local Area Connection) to the "Public network" manually if it's "Home network"
3. Goto Change advanced sharing option. Here you will see Win7 allow you to set different sharing options for 1) Home or Work network; 2) Public network.
4. Turn ON the sharing option in the "Home or Work" section and turn OFF the sharing option in the "Public" section.
5. Done.

Now, you cannot access the shared folders using the private IP, but NeoRouter virtual IP address ONLY.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm 

kevinz wrote:
Got you. Of cause NeoRouter can do this.

1. On Win7, go to the Network and Sharing Center, you will see multiple networks. By default, NeoRouter Connection is set to "Work Network".
2. Change your main network (Local Area Connection) to the "Public network" manually if it's "Home network"
3. Goto Change advanced sharing option. Here you will see Win7 allow you to set different sharing options for 1) Home or Work network; 2) Public network.
4. Turn ON the sharing option in the "Home or Work" section and turn OFF the sharing option in the "Public" section.
5. Done.

Now, you cannot access the shared folders using the private IP, but NeoRouter virtual IP address ONLY.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

I followed the instruction, but still not sure if the computer A accessible only via NeoRouter since I still see that visible in "Network" on computer B (both have NeoRouter Explorer and computer A has the NeoRouter Server installed). I have change my LAN (main connection) from "Home" to "Public" and Neorouter connection is already set to "Work". I also have turn on file sharing and network discovery for the "Home" and turn off file sharing/network discovery for "Public". How do I test to find what if I am using NeoRouter connection not normal Windows Sharing connection?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 am 

For example, you have a computer running Win7. It has 2 connections and 2 IP addresses and has a shared folder.
You have another computer on the same network and it has IP , say 192.168.0.101.

Before setting,

Local Area Connection --> Home Network --> 192.168.0.100 (turn on sharing option)
NeoRouter Connection --> Work Network --> 10.0.0.5 (turn on sharing option)

Go to the computer 192.168.0.101, you can ping IP 192.168.0.100 and can access the shared folder on it by \\192.168.0.100

After setting,

Local Area Connection --> Home Network --> 192.168.0.100 (turn OFF sharing option)

Now, from the computer 192.168.0.101, you CANNOT ping 192.168.0.100 NOR access the shared folder by \\192.168.0.100, but you can ping 10.0.0.5 and access to it by \\10.0.0.5

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 pm 

kevinz wrote:
For example, you have a computer running Win7. It has 2 connections and 2 IP addresses and has a shared folder.
You have another computer on the same network and it has IP , say 192.168.0.101.

Before setting,

Local Area Connection --> Home Network --> 192.168.0.100 (turn on sharing option)

Go to the computer 192.168.0.101, you can ping IP 192.168.0.100 and can access the shared folder on it by \\192.168.0.100

After setting,

Local Area Connection --> Home Network --> 192.168.0.100 (turn OFF sharing option)

Now, from the computer 192.168.0.101, you CANNOT ping 192.168.0.100 NOR access the shared folder by \\192.168.0.100, but you can ping 10.0.0.5 and access to it by \\10.0.0.5

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

I have verified this works. I noticed that DESKTOP_A is 192.168.0.100 before turning on sharing and 10.0.0.5 afterwards.

Thanks!