Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I am really stumped trying to share samba shares on linux
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:50 pm 

I have a headless server running CentOS 5.4 with the neorouter client installed. I can ping it from a windows xp sp3 computer. I can work with the samba shares from it also on the local lan. I can work with the nfs shares from another linux box but I can't get the shares to be visible on the windows xp box. What is required to share linux shares on windows computers from neorouter. Thanks for this great product.

Post subject: Re: I am really stumped trying to share samba shares on linux
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 pm 

Can you try telnet 445 to your samba server over NeoRouter? Wondering if the iptable is set properly on the linux box.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:17 pm 

Hi kevinz, Thanks for your quick reply. Between your comments here and a similar post I resolved my problem. I can view my centos 5.4 samba share on a windows xp computer through neorouter now. I logged in to the configuration explorer. I selected the server and checked the firewall. It was on but no one was added to access the computer. I disabled the firewall and still could not access the samba shares. I then reactivated the firewall and added all the users and I can now access the samba shares through neorouter by clicking on the shares icon on the computer in the network explorer list. Previously I could only access them on the winxp computer through the regular lan. Also just some more info I could still ping the server even when I could not access the samba shares. Thanks, Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 pm 

Hi notech,

Glad to hear you fix it. If you enable the firewall, ACL is applied. If there is no user (including Everyone) in the list, the computer will block all IP packets, but ICMP packets, which allows ping working.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team