Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Having trouble to get Neorouter working on Fonera 2.0n
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 am 

I've installed the v0.9.9 server-plugin on my Fonera 2.0n and created the domain at Neorouter.com. Since my Fon is behind another router/modem (Zyxel) I opened port 32976 in the Zyxel firewall and forwarded this port to my Fon.
I went to the dashboard at Neorouter.com and tested the connection. I get the message:
The address "x.x.x.x" is closed and the NeoRouter Server cannot be used at this time.

Although i'm not sure if I must also install the client at this time on my Fon (i thought i only have to install it onto the pc's from which i want to connect to the VPN-router), i installed it anyway. When I start the client from the SSH-connection it asks me the domain, username and password. Which domain to choose is clear to me (since I created that one myself). But what name and password do I have to use (with the installation of the server plugin I wasn't asked for one ...) ?
For the username i've tried the domain name and also my normal fonera-root account with corresponding password but no matter which one i choose, the following screen comes up:

Neorouter Network Explorer
Connecting to NeoRouter Server

And after that nothing happens, no further output/message and i can only interrupt it with ctrl-c.

I've read the wiki several times and googled a bit but haven't found something usefull so far. Any ideas ?

Post subject: Re: Having trouble to get Neorouter working on Fonera 2.0n
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:53 am 

Hi Mario67,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter.

1. Check the NeoRouter server status
After you install the NRServer plugin, it will run the nrserver at 32976 port and set the firewall rule on the box properly to open the port. You don't need to install NRClient on the box, if you just want to connect your computers.

To verify the server status, you can have several steps.

a.On the box, you can check if the nrserver process is running with "ps" or "top" command. If it's not running, you have to investigate the reason.

We tested it on the FON's official v2.3.0.0 DEV firmware, with which just need to install the plugin from our site. We also have received reports from other users that the FON's 2.3 RC4 DEV does not have openssl installed, so that you are required more manual work.

b. If the nrserver is running, you can telnet 127.0.0.1 32976 on the box; or need to investigate the problem.

2. Setup domain
Launch the Configuration Explorer on Windows or use the nrservice command line to setup the NeoRouter domain, e.g. link the NeoRouter domain name you registered with your FON box.

Check out here for more information:

Using Configuration Explorer:
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... r#Settings

Using nrserver CLI:
http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... _Interface

After setting the NeoRouter domain, on the "Dashboard" you will see the public IP address is your router's public IP address. It means, NRClient can use the NeoRouter domain name to access your FON box. If the status is FAIL, like you got right now, there is something wrong.

Quote:
BTW, when you try to log on to the nrserver on the FON box, you can use username "root" and proper password.

Quote:
On in-a-box/Linux/Mac, NRserver accepts all system accounts. When you use Configuration Explorer or Network Explorer to sign in to the NRserver, please use the system account instead of the NeoRouter domain account. And the "log on to" or "domain" in these software means either "NeoRouter Domain" or Internet Domain. (there are some explanations in other posts.)

3. Done.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 pm 

Thanks for the quick response, KevinZ ! MY Fonera has indeed the v2.3.0.0 Dev firmware.

ok the top command shows me that the nrserver-service is running. However, when i try to telnet from the SSH-connnection it just "hangs". Same situation if it try to telnet from a XP-PC that's connected to one of its LAN-ports.

I deinstalled the plugin. After that i installed it again and rebooted it. Same symptoms.

Seems I am stuck at point 1b :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:38 pm 

Hi Mario67,

It means your nrserver didn't start properly. Please check:

1. If the folder /usr/local/ZebraNetworkSystems/NeoRouter contains database file ( NeoRouter_0_0_1.db), certificates file (server.crt / server.key) and openssl.cnf

If not, please reinstall it.

2. You can run /usr/bin/nrserver manually to check if it returns error message. Before doing this, you may want to kill all existing process and stop the cron in case the fonstate starts it automatically.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:34 am 

All the files exists in the folder, also the file DNSCache.xml. So all files are accounted for.

When I try your second suggestion, i first do a "killall nrserver" and then start nrserver manually. It just "hangs", and i can only do ctrl-c to get the prompt back.

I'm not sure how to do the cron-thingy you talk about (i'm a bit of a Linux-noob :mrgreen: ) but right before i start the nrserver manuallly i make a "ps -ef|grep nrserver" to make sure the process isn't active.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:38 am 

Hi Mario67,

From your description, it seems nrserver is working. (It's not hang, it's running).

Can you try to use the Configuration Explorer to log on to the nrserver?

Reboot your FON box, run Configuration Explorer from a Windows box, log on to FON's IP address (not neorouter domain name yet) without "root" and proper password.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am 

Gee KevinZ, free software and support on Sunday !
I don't know about the Neorouter product (yet!) but your customer service is outstanding ! ;)

I've installed the Windows client on a XP-PC that's on the LAN side of the Fonera. When i run configuration explorer i can't login to the router's ip-adress without giving user credentials (nothing happens when i only give it's ip-adress and click on "sign in")
I'm able to login with the fonera's root account on it's ip adress (not the domain name).
After that I went to settings and noticed that the fields are empty. I've clicked on "setup domain" and entered the domain info i already used on neorouter.com to create it.
Then I clicked on users, only root account existed. I've added a user there (admin equivalent and enabled). I've closed the network explorer and logged on with the newly created user, again with the fon's ip adress as domain. All goes well. Tried it again, but now with the real domain name instead of the ip adress, but that's a no-go: after i do that it tries for about 20 seconds and then it returns.
Besides the fon's LAN-ip adress i also can connect on its WAN-ip succesfully. I also tried to connect through the WAN-ip on the Zyxel's (the ip-adress on the internet side of my network) but that's not working either.

To sum things up:
- I can use configuration explorer to connect to the neorouter process by the Fon's ip adress, not domain
- Again i've tried to connect through the dashboard on neorouter.com and from telnet on my XP-PC and telnet throught SSH on the Fon but no luck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:07 am 

Good news! It seems NR Server is working now. The only problem would be the port forwarding issue in your Zyxel router.

From your description I know:

1. You can use Configuration Explorer (on Windows) to log on to the FON box.
Of cause credentials are required:

User Name: root
Password: (your password)
Log on to: (the box IP address)

2. Then you have setup the neorouter domain properly. (need to reboot FON after the setting)

3. I think you can use Network Explorer (on Windows) to sign in with the same credentials as Configuration Explorer or the new account you created.
This step helps you to register the Windows computer to the server.

Now, your problem is you cannot use the NR Domain Name or public IP address to log on. It is more like a network setting issue.

Can you try to figure this out?

1. Try to remove the Zyxel out and put the FON box to your Internet access directly?

or

2. Try to do port forward on Zyxel to another computer (for example windows) and another port (for example: 3396 RDP or something else), then test if the Zyxel port forward works?

Finally, you will

1. Use your public IP address to log on to the FON box
2. Test the NRserver status from "Dashboard" it should be successful
3. Use NRDomain name to log on to the FON box.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:51 am 

Indeed, the network explorer can also successfully connect to the router's ip adress (not the domain).

option 1 (removing the Zyxel) isn't possible since the Zyxel is also the adsl modem. Regarding option 2: I have already implemented several port forwarders succesfully (FTP/HTTP for internal devices, torrents etc i have on my network). I have also tested if port 32976 can actually port forward successfully by configuring a torrent client on a fixed-ip windows-pc on my network with port 32976. In the client itself is an option to see if the port can forward successfully and the test was ok. After that i changed the port forward from the pc's ip to the Fon again.

OK AND NOW FOR THE SOLUTION !!!!!

I was typing the above message while testing. Although the "torrent-port 32976 foward-test" came out successfully I noticed that it has been a long time since the Zyxel has been reset. I decided to reboot it. After it came up again i could connect succesfully to the created domain now (both from the network/configuration explorer and from the dashboard at neorouter.com !!! :shock:

Learning moment: after implementing firewall rules on a router, always reset the box !( well, at least if you own a Zyxel) :lol:

Thanks a lot KevinZ, although it seems Neorouter software wasn't the cause of the problems, I already learned a lot of it's inner workings from your explanations and I'm now ready to use the VPN at it's full potential, woohoo !!! :D :D :D :D :D