Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:41 am 

1.- To have Computer Groups and User Groups for access control lists and firewall
2.- Multidomain login so I can connect to computers belonging to separate domains simultaneously. Here there could be an issue of address clash since different domains may use the same subnet, but it could be fixed by choosing different subnets.
3.- Add-ons/Services configurations per computer. Right now we have add-ons that once installed apply potentially to all computers in the exact same way even though sometimes it may not make sense, for example Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to a Unix computer or puTTy to a Windows computer. Also specific customization maybe required, for example some computers may RDC in different ports than the default.
4.- I would like to easily configure commands for each computer or group of computers in the list. They may even be dependent on the Client OS I'm currently using or even the specific computer I'm using.
5.- It would be good to be able to add to the list devices that cannot actually use the NeoR Domain ip address like: Net cameras, printers or even computers that do not support NeoRouter. They can be assigned an ip address by the server and then a routing mechanism could be used to connect to them through one of the computers in the VPN.
6.- Finally there are computers that I interact with that I would like to include in the list of computers even though they are not in the NeoR VPN just to have something like a comprehensive directory of computers and services that I can potentially use from anywhere.

Post subject: Re: My suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 am 

Hi amieres,

Thanks for your good suggestions. Some of them are in our plan already, some may not, but we will evaluate it.

BTW, your question (5) can be solved by the "Network Bridge" feature, which is implemented in the v0.9.9. What I want to explain is that for the security purpose, we don't want to mix the computers inside/outside of the virtual LAN, so when "Network Bridge" feature is enabled, ACL will be disabled. When the feature is disabled by default, ACL can control/protect each computer at port leval.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 am 

Hi Kevinz

Thanks for your reply and let me congratulate you and your team for an excellent product.

Although it is technically possible to share local devices using the Network Bridge (I read the wiki description) it's very complicated. Network savvy users will be able to do it but not your average NeoRouter user.

What's beautiful and powerful about NeoRouter is how it makes something that is technically very difficult become so simple that anyone can use it. That simplicity is what I would like for point 5: the device becomes just another device in the virtual network with it's own 10.0.0.x ip address. (no Bridges, no routing commands, no gateways, no sub nets, no proxies, all the technical details are taken care by NeoRouter)

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:46 am 

You are right. Simplicity is the our purpose too. We will improve it in the future.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team