Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Remote Desktop
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 am 

Just a quick question. If I understand correctly, XP Pro has to be used on the host PC for standard Remote Desktop use. Will the add-on "Ultra VNC" allow an XP Home pc to be the host? Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Remote Desktop
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:43 pm 

yes. you are right. For some users who has windows OS which does not support terminal server, for example WinXP Home, Vista Home and so on, VNC is a good alternative solution. That is a reason we provide UVNC add-on. With simple configuration, you can use VNC as a service which does the similar job as terminal server, e.g. you can log on to a remote windows.

Another reason of creating UVNC add-on is some users may need features like sharing desktop and remote assistance.

KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:22 pm 

I have 2 Vista Home Premium computers for which I want to use Remote Desktop. These computers are behind a firewall in an office. I was able to enable the remote desktop by using this hack: http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08/30 ... e-premium/. I can do a remote connection but only if I am on one of the computers on the network in the office and I go RD directly. If I try to do it with NeoRouter I can get up to the point where it asks for user id/password and after that it just stays there. I really do not like VNC since it is not secure and also everybody in the office sees what I am doing remotely. Can somebody suggest another arrangement for remote desktop? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm 

Another thing that I have an issue with: I have 2 Win XP Pro installations that run virtual. One has 2 NICs + NeoRouter and one has 1 NIC + NeoRouter. If I connect to them directly with NR Exprorer, I loose the connection all the time. If I log on one of the XP Pro computers and from there I RD to either of the XP installs I am OK. I like this product so much I would like to see it working; however I realize that I am pushing the limits with my configuration but I would like a confirmation; Is my config out of whack? is it supposed to work this way or it was never tested like this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:38 am 

It's a pretty normal situation and I think it should work for you. What do you mean "lost connection"? Do you mean RD cannot connect? If you can log on to the NeoRouter network and these computers can ping each other, RD should have worked.

In some unstable network, you may want to use "relay through server" option instead of the default P2P option. Go to NeoRouter Configuration Explorer -> Connections -> Relay through server, reboot your computer or service.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:34 pm 

I have NeoRouter Server running on my Windows XP Home PC and NeoRouter Network Explorer running on my Windows XP Pro PC. I can connect to the XP Pro machine from inside the network without any problems. I haven’t tried the USB function yet. I can use the SearchFiles Add-on without any problems. I can use the VNC Viewer Add-on without any problems until I reboot the PC that is running NeoRouter Network Explorer. Then the only way to get VNC to work again is to go to that machine and type my password and click “Sign In” on the NeoRouter Log-in screen. I do have “Start when I log into Windows” checked. I don’t use a password to log-in to these machines.

Without going to that PC that is running NeoRouter Network Explorer, I can see when it comes back on line in the NeoRouter window. I can still use the SearchFiles Add-on. I just can’t get VNC to work without going to that PC and logging back in to NeoRouter. Is there another setting in VNC that I am missing? This is a great product and I want to install it on my mother's computer across town, but she would not be able to figure out how to log in to get VNC to work so I am looking for something that requires "no" user intervention.

Thanks.

And thank you for this post on installing Add-ons: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130
I couldn't get the Add-ons to install at all until I read this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm 

I was having the same issue. I installed RealVNC on the server instead and set it up to run as a service (did not remove VNC from NeoRouter). I now see the login screen instead of the black screen I was getting.

Edit: Sorry, I think I misunderstood the issue that you are having... If the machine shows back up in the list with an IP address then it might still work though :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:50 pm 

Lost connection - means that I log in and after a short while a windows dialog appears and tells me that the connection was dropped and it will reconnect in 20 seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 pm 

I am using relay through server and I can now connect to my vista computers, but it got slower, maybe twice as slow. Is there a way to speed it up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:05 pm 

If there is no Symmetric NAT between your two computers, you can use TCP P2P. It's faster than Relay mode but a little bit slower than UDP P2P. Most home users can use this option instead, especially in some WiFi networks UDP packets are easy to be lost.

Good luck,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team