Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Get rid of "Service initialization failed" dialog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:55 am 

Sometimes I get "Service initialization failed" dialog and NeoRouter Network Explorer stays logged out before user presses [OK] button and then [Sign in[ button. Unfortunately NeoRouter might be running at a remote system far away from the user.

I suggest that NeoRouter Network Explorer should simply try to re-connect on error and leave the error message displayed with a warning trayicon or somewhere on NeoRouter Network Explorer window, instead of popping up a modal dialog that waits for user's dismiss.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Get rid of "Service initialization failed" dialog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:13 am 

Hi ElTopo,

Thanks for you suggestion. We will try to fix that soon.

As the latest version supports auto-signin, both cliservice and UI start up when computer started. But you may see the error message when cliservice has not fully started yet before UI.

If you come cross the error message, simply click "OK" and try to log on again.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am 

yeah, but a person has to be there to click [OK] and then [Sign in], which might not be always the case for a remote system, that's why I suggest NeoRouter Network Explorer should try to re-connect automatically by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm 

Yes i am also in need of that feature that it never stops to try to connect to the server no matter what.

I hope this feature will show up in the next version.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:49 pm 

I still see this issue happening with version 0.9.6.1048[1] (Windows XP Pro SP3), it happens occasionally when
1. I boot up Windows XP (NeoRouter Explorer tries to connect to server before my firewall software fully starts);
2. I resume Windows XP from hibernation.

I also have hamachi VPN running and it never fails during booting up/resuming.

I still think NeoRouter Explorer should skip this modal dialog and re-initialize/re-connect, VPN connection should be unattended (without need of user pressing OK button) if "Sign me in automatically" is checked.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:47 pm 

ElTopo,

Thanks for reporting.

I just want to point out there is a misunderstanding in this thread. The dialog should not affect the VPN connection.

NeoRouter client consists of two pieces: an NT service and a GUI app. The NT service is responsible to make VPN connection and it should always retry. To test this, you should be able to connect to or ping remote computers even without dismissing the dialog. The dialog is part of the GUI app. When user does not signin, the default ACL is effective. If you have turned on the firewall, some applications may be blocked by the remote computers.

With that said, I agree with you that this is a bug and user experience is not great. So we will look into this as soon as possible.

And we are much better than Hamachi! Sorry about my arrogance :). We hope once we complete our product, you will never need Hamachi again.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 pm 

Thanks luke for explaining the 2 parts (service and UI).

Yes I also wish that NeoRouter keeps getting better and better and eventually it replaces hamachi, what I love NeoRouter best is that I can run my own server, it's priceless. But before I can dump hamachi, I also need Windows 2000 client and Linux client 8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm 

luke,

I just tested, I cannot ping the client with "service initialization failed" dialog from another logged in client (however the logged in client sees the "failed" client as "online").

I keep the ping cmd.exe window open (from the logged in client), go to the "failed" client, dismiss the "failed" dialog, still no ping replies; I then click "Sign in" and wait for the client logged in, the other logged in client starts getting ping replies.

Maybe I missed something?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm 

Hi ElTopo,

It seems a little bit weird. Would you help to test the following cases:

1. Reboot your computer A, but don't log in to Windows yet. Ping the computer A from another computer B using the virtual IP. See if it works.

2. If (1.) works, then log in to the Windows. See if it signs in automatically.

Of cause, I suppose you have selected all of these 3 options ( remember password, sign me in and start when log on)

The correct results should be 1. you can ping from B to A; 2. NeoRouter auto sign in to the virtual network once you sign in to the Window.

Let me explain a little bit. When you start the computer, the NT service should start automatically and connect to the server automatically, e.g. without logging in to the NeoRouter UI, your computer should be assigned a virtual IP once it connects to the server. This is the case (1.). If not, there should be something wrong and you may want to double check.

Once a user logs in to the Windows, the NeoRouter UI would start automatically. It's set to the "Start up" menu when you check the "Start when I log on to Windows" option. At this point, it tries to connect to the NT service. If it fails to connect to the service, the NeoRouter UI will try 3 times, each time takes 20 seconds. If it still cannot connect the NT service in the 60 seconds, it reports the "Service initialization failed" dialog. When it's reconnecting, you can see a counter on the bottom of the main window.

So the case (2.) will let us know how many time the NT service needs to restart on your computer.

I tested both cases (reboot and resume) in our lab computers, but I cannot reproduce your issue with the version 0.9.6.

Let us know if anyone else still come cross the issue.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter Team

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:20 pm 

Thanks kevin, I will do the test you recommended.