Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Linux Client connection / ping problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:20 pm 

I am having a problem with my Linux client being able to talk to any other clients on the network. I am able to communicate between Windows machines. I am running the server (Linux) and attempting to run client (Linux) on the same box. The OS is ClearOS (based from CentOS repos). The NeoRouter version I instlaled was the Red Hat Enterprise / CentOS for both server and client. One thing I noticed, the libcrypto and libssl are 0.9.8e not 0.9.8g or higher as recommended (I did put the links in as stated in instructions.) I tried to get an updated package from CentOS repos, but they are at 0.9.8e also, unless I totally missed something. Like I said, the server part works fine, and the client seems to work, but I can't establish communications with the Linux client to anywhere else. I tried checking the iptables, but not sure how / if I need to have an exception for the nrtap interface, or how to turn the firewall off in this distro.

Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm unsure if it's a firewall issue, ssl issue, or some completely different issue. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Linux Client connection / ping problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 pm 

Hi hatterofmaddness,

As you may know, the ClearOS does not have the exactly same libraries NeoRouter needs. It's still possible to run NeoRouter on ClearOS, but I'm not sure and we didn't fully test NR on it yet.

As you described, you installed both NR Server and client on the same box. You can run "nrclientcmd" on the box and log to to "127.0.0.1:32976" to register the box as NR client first.

If you can sign in and see the virtual tap (ifconfig | grep nrtap). That's a good sign. Then you can try to ping another computer from it and check if the nrservice process is still running. If it's still running, I think it's not a ssl issue.

A better idea would be to generate a log and send it to support@neorouter.com, so that we can investigate it for you.

About how to generate a log, please refer to http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... og_file.3F

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 pm 

Hi Kevinz,
Thanks for the quick reply. I was digging deeper, and I have reason to believe it's not NeoRouter, it's more likely the iptables (that' s my guess for now) firewall config. Yes, I can get nrclientcmd to work, and it comes up and I can see the network. This leads me to believe the server is working, because I can connect two seperate Windows machines running the client through the Linux server. When I run ifconfig, the NRTAP interface shows up, with the correct ip. I can ping the ip of the NRTAP interface (10.0.0.1). When I ping a Windows machine that's online / connected to the server, I get a "ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted" which Google suggests is most likely a firewall issue. Google does not say how to fix the issue, and if anyone has any idea, please let me know. I had another post over at ClearOS forums on the same issue, hopeing they can point me in the right direction. Side note : I ran 'tcpdump -i nrtap' and can see ping requests from the Windows PC. When I try to ping from the Linux comp, I can't see the ping requests from 10.0.0.1 to the other Windows PC.

Also, I tried :
# Allow TUN interface connections to server
iptables -A INPUT -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
# Allow TUN interface connections to be forwarded through other interfaces
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
# Allow TAP interface connections to server
iptables -A INPUT -i tap+ -j ACCEPT
# Allow TAP interface connections to be forwarded through other interfaces
iptables -A FORWARD -i tap+ -j ACCEPT

That didn't fix the problem. I will keep trying, and will let you know what I find.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm 

I found a solution to my problem, and thought I would post it in hopes that it may help someone else.

Basically my distro is using iptables for a firewall, so all I needed to do was add the nrtap interface to the external list. Example follows :

Edited /etc/firewall by hand and added nrtap to the external interface and then "service firewall restart"

Before Edit
Code:
~~~
# Interface roles
#----------------

EXTIF="eth0"

After Edit
Code:

# Interface roles
#----------------

EXTIF="eth0 nrtap"

Note : your distro of Linux may vary, this is what worked for me. Always appreciate the fast response I get from kevinz, he's always on top of it, even on a Sunday, that's great tech support. Enjoy your product and as always your help, and look forward to future releases.

Peace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 am 

Your advice worked - Thanks for Posting