Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Client fails to install on SBS2003
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:44 am 

I tested NeoRouter on other computers successfully before taking the step of installing the client on my targeted computer. server. Unfortunately the client failed to install on the targeted SBS 2003 computer.

I have NeoRouter Client setup on a laptop where I can connect to my remote server from anywhere successfully, so it's not the NeoRouter Server that's a issue, just installing NeoRouter Client on SBS 2003.

The install bar got about 1/10th of the way through when the following message appeared:

<
NeoRouter 1.1.1.1950 Setup
An error occurred while installing NeoRouter. The installer will roll back to original status and quit.
>
[img]http:/systemsolver.com/share/NeoRouter%20error%20install.JPG[/img]

I downloaded the installer a second time but that didn't make any difference.

I tried installing as current user (administrator) with unchecking the restricted access. I tried installing it as administrator with password. Neither made any difference.

I rebooted but that didn't make any difference.
=========
I loaded NeoRouter Portable and that worked fine, except I need the ping service. After some studying I see that the portable version purposely prevents pings.

I need the ping service (or whatever allows a search by ip address) to make the program DeltaCopy Client connect to the remote DeltaCopy Server once the two computers are connected via NeoRouter.

Any help isolating possible issues related to installing the client on SBS 2003 would be appreciated.

Also, the SBS 2003 is behind a LinkSys RV082, so if I have to open a port for the NeoRouter Client installation program please let me know.

I understand that I can create an add-on, but the program I want to run, DeltaCopy Client, requires an IP address (or computer name) to get the DeltaCopy Server information...without that ip address I'm stuck. I did experiment with the add-on method as shown in the manual, but I was not successful:

cmd.exe /C start /LOW /D "rsync.exe -v -rlt -z --delete /cygdrive/C/DeltaCopy" %NRIPAddress%::TempBackup/DeltaCopy/

That add-on opened a command window which sent a waring that:
10.0.0.4::TempBackup/DeltaCopy/
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"

So it did identify the NRIPAddress, it just wouldn't pass it.

Great program. Hope you can help me.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Client fails to install on SBS2003
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:37 pm 

Well, it was not the router. I installed NeoRouter Client on an XP workstation on the same LAN and it worked like a fish taking to water.

So it's something in SBS 2003. I know it's not something in Server 2003 because I already installed the Server on that remote location. I think i might be a dll not getting permission to load.

here's the install.log minus the uninstall lines:

CreateDirectory: "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter" created
CreateDirectory: "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver" created
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="nrtap.inf"
File: wrote 2814 to "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.inf"
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="tapinstall.exe"
File: wrote 63488 to "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\tapinstall.exe"
File: overwriteflag=0, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="nrtap.sys"
File: wrote 24576 to "C:\Program Files\ZebraNetworkSystems\NeoRouter\Driver\nrtap.sys"
Jump: 710
Call: 1398
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\nsExec.dll"
File: skipped: "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\nsExec.dll" (overwriteflag=1)
Call: 86
detailprint: Install nrtap
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\EnableDrvDLL.dll"
File: wrote 176128 to "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\EnableDrvDLL.dll"
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\nsExec.dll"
File: skipped: "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\nsExec.dll" (overwriteflag=1)
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\EnableDrvDLL.dll"
File: skipped: "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\EnableDrvDLL.dll" (overwriteflag=1)
MessageBox: 0,"An error occurred while install NeoRouter. The installer will roll back to original status and quit."
detailprint: Remove nrtap
File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=0, name="C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\e\nsdD.tmp\nsExec.dll"
detailprint: Unintall Files

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 pm 

hi John,

Thanks for reporting the issues.
We will look into the install failure and get back to you. rsync won't work with nrportable. You will need to install the full NeoRouter client.

Post subject: Solution ... Re: Client fails to install on SBS2003
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:17 am 

The RunOnce key was missing. Believe it or not.

I got the hint from a 2004 TechGuy entry:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/23 ... uring.html

I got to that site from a 2004 message on openvpn.net that I found while googling for <tapinstall.exe>:
http://openvpn.net/archive/openvpn-user ... 00440.html

Herewith his message:
===============
Windows 2000/XP has a bug that it cannot properly detect new hardware by *.inf files, if the RunOnce registry key is missing for the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

This key is often used by installers to execute post-reboot programs, but sometimes they accidentally delete this key.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Make sure that you understand how to backup and restore the registry, in case a problem occurs. Please read the linked Microsoft Knowledge Base article prior to editing the registry.

Go to Start » Run and enter "regedit."

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

With CurrentVersion Highlighted, go to the Edit menu and select New » Key

Name the key RunOnce, leaving everything else about the key alone.

The RunOnce key should now exist underneath the CurrentVersion key.
Once the key exists, Windows 2000/XP stops redetecting the Hardware
==============

Can I get an 8 license pack for the info? You must have lost a few possible customers because of this issue! Whatcha think? Huh? Huh?

Otherwise, it's a great product and now that I've busted through my personal barrier I'm happy as a clam in the sand.

John in Medford Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:53 am 

Hi OregonJohn,

Glad to know you solve the issue by yourselves. Also I did a testing in our lab and I cannot reproduce your issue actually.

I setup a brand new Windows SBS 2003 and installed the NeoRouter without any problem. It works as same as on a Windows 2003. I'd like to mention is SBS2003 prompt me to setup Network Adapter and guide me to the Internet setup wizard while installing, as it's a brand new system. I simply ignore the wizard, of cause I can setup the email and so on. After I log on to the NeoRouter, the NeoRouter virtual adapter gets assigned a virtual IP and start working.

Since you mentioned about the register key, I double-check the key and it is there. I think SBS2003 has the key by default.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work or I may not be able to figure it out.

Another thing I'd like to clarify is rsync client can work with NeoRouter Portable, but rsync server does not. NeoRouter Portable gets assigned a virtual IP as well and you can ping it from other computer, but cannot ping from NeoRouter Portable TO other computer. You can find out the VIP of the NeoRouter Portable in the Configuration Explorer.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm 

Some software installation programs inadvertently delete the runonce key. If the installation program tries to delete a value in an empty runonce key it actually winds up deleting the whole key.

Apparently our SBS2003 server had a program installed that did just that, so it wasn't there. You might test by removing that key and seeing if you can install without it. I don't think you will.

Quote from the technet forum topic in 2005:
Quote:
"Used the fix to finally install TrendNet TEW-421PC that deleted RunOnce. "

So in his case it was the installation program of the TEW-421PC that inadvertently deleted the runonce key.

Also, someone from Hamachi posted in 2006:
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in too and say "THANKS !". I am with http://hamachi.cc and the "Not found" problem is an infrequent but major headache. At some point we spent two weeks of daily back-n-forth email with someone trying to get to the bottom of it. Looked at setupapi.log at its most verbose level, tries all things imaginable. All failed.

This was few months ago and since then we were basically telling people that they probably had run some tool that corrupted their registry and we couldn't say in which exact way.

Since your program uses a network adapter, Windows tries to install it like a piece of hardware. That's were the problem comes in.

Maybe you could insert a little code that checks for the existence of "runonce" and if it doesn't exist, create it. It may only affect 1 in 50 people trying to test your product, but still!

I actually think I tried NeoRouter maybe a year ago, or two, when it was in beta and it wouldn't work on that SBS2003 router so I gave up...but I put your forums in my daily check of web sites waiting for improvements. Then I really needed the product so I tried again, and it worked on my local workstations so I assumed it would work on the SBS2003. I might have had it going long ago if it had installed way back then.

Thanks again, good work!