Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unable to log server after change port
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 am 

Hi Team,

I was using NR on a SBS 2003, with clients 2000 and XP. Everything was ok. I wanted to change the default port to another TCP port.
When done, unable to connect server. Always the same message : Connect cannot be etablished. Forwarding new port is ok, test with console NR ok (green), clients ok, but unable to etablish the server.
Uninstall, reboot, delete manually, reinstall, reboot, no way. A nightmare !
I'm quite sad because I want to leave Hamachi and work with NR on business (not free version).
I also did a system restore state, but still no way ! help please
Thanks Team.

Post subject: Re: Unable to log server after change port
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 am 

Hi Jean-Marie,

Don't be sad, we will support you. :) Changing port is not that hard, just follow the steps, step by step:

1.Go to your NRServer machine, make sure it's running by checking services.msc. Or you can restart the NRServer service from there, no need to uninstall or delete. If you run it on Linux/Mac, use script to check it. (ps aux|grep nrserver)

2.Run the Configuration Explorer (same machine) and log on to it using your NeoRouter account created before.
In the "Log on to:" field, input "[local ip address]:[port]" For example: 192.168.0.10:443

3.Assume you want to change to another port, say 8888. Ok, choose the "Settings" tab, change the port number and save it. Then you may want to restart the nrserver after changing the port.

Note: Once you restart the server, all NeoRouter clients and Configuration Explorer will disconnect to it then.

4.If you use NeoRouter domain name, then go to our Dashboard website and change the port to the new port number.
You can also wait (for about 3 min) and the nrserver will update automatically after it started.

5.Go to each NeoRouter client computer, restart the NeoRouter client service (nrservice).
From version 1.1.2.2110, NeoRouter client will notice the change (without restarting) and automatically connect to the new port. The process would take 5min.

6.Done.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hello Kevinz,

Thanks for help. The problem is that i can't connect.
Step 1 is ok, services are running.
Step 2 : message : signin failed, hr:0x8007274d.
I've also try a "roll back" with the port setting, so configure forwarding on original port, same problem.
I've also change the port on Dashborard too. The login onto server seems dead. What do you suggest else ?
Great NR, the short time I use it was fantastic. Speed, simple, one word : the best I've tested. Why did I change the default port... ? Rhaaa !! :evil:
Best regards, thanks for help.
Sincerely.
JM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:34 pm 

It's me again, some news...
Step 2 : ok, with the adress of the server + port, as suggested.
Change done.
Check port on Dashboard ok.
Still not connecter on server (SBS2003)
Wait 5 minutes. Try again, no way.
:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm 

Well... after a long time checking all the settings, it seems ok now. But now, adresses IP are mismatch.
I can't "force" server to have ip 10.0.0.1. Any suggestion ?
Thanks for help.
I would like to know if changing tcp default port is nightmare like this every time ?
Thanks support, I finally still love NR. On the way to buy licences next week after other tests...
Best regards,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:44 pm 

Hi Jean-Marie,

Very glad to know it works. :) As you may know the NR DHCP recycles virtual IP address immediately once it’s released, i.e. a NeoRouter client gets deleted from the computer list. I think you may uninstalled the NRClient on the server and it gets a different VIP after installation, because another computer already got the 10.0.0.1. If you want to change it back, you can do this:

1.Go to the Configuration Explorer and log on to the NRServer, find out the computer (A) that uses 10.0.0.1.
2.Make sure that computer has no user logged on. (or if you enable the auto-sign in, it may fail our job)
3.From the Configuration Explorer delete the computer(10.0.0.1) – Now the 10.0.0.1 is available.
4.Also from the Configuration Explorer delete the NRClient on the server, then go to the server, log on from Network Explorer to register to the server. It will get the 10.0.0.1 address.
5.Go to the computer (A) and log on to the server , then it gets a new IP.

I’m sorry for the confusion about the Changing Port guide. Basically, we suggest users to design their network first, then deploy. If really need to change the design, just follow the steps. Since you know how it works, life would become easier.

We will improve the feature in the future.

Thanks,
KevinZ – NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:02 pm 

Dear Kevinz,

Thanks, thanks for your patience and explanations. All is ok now, IP are correctly reassigned now. Everything seems ok (except for our Mac on 10.4 on witch we must upgrade, as your post this week to help me).

I had another time problems to connect the "client" on the server after your explanations for IP reassign.
To solve this problem, I put on the field "Logon to" the local IP and the port, and voila... connected. Is it the best way instead of the "virtual domain" ?
I did the test several times, and it was ok each time. I could use this option at first, instead of spending hours since my problem of "changing TCP port"...
Well, for now, go on testing, appreciate this great vpn, and really appreciate this forum. Thanks for help and patience ! Really pro !
;) :D
Best regards to the whole team, and all users who want use à cool vpn.
See you, maybe for another question or "problem".
:roll: