Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Android NeoRouter: HTC EVO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 pm 

Hi, I'm trying out the Android NeoRouter with my pocketcloud app to connect to my computer, through RDP, or to any other available protocol PocketCloud supports and NeoRouter does too, I think ssh too. I'm hitting a wall as to how exactly do I set it up so PocketCloud goes through the NeoRouter's ports. I'm new at this, so I would apreciate some help. :|
Thanks
Cid

Post subject: Re: Android NeoRouter: HTC EVO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:47 am 

Hi Pneulemen,

Thanks for trying NeoRouter. As you may know, NeoRouter is a VPN solution, which includes two components: server and client. Assume you had setup NeoRouter server and installed NeoRouter client on the computers you want to remotely access to.

NeoRouter for Android is a NeoRouter client running on Android. It allows you to access the computers in the NeoRouter virtual network using third party software, such as ConnectBot, vnc/rdp clients, ftp clients and so on.

[third party software] <-----> NR for Android <-----> computers in NR VLAN

NR for Android provides the "port forward" approaches helping third party software connect to the remote computers. For more information about it, please refer to:
http://www.neorouter.com/android/portforward.html

In most cases, I'd like suggest you to use Dynamic Port Forward settings. The basic steps:

1. Install NR for Android and log on to the NR server. You will see the computer list
2. Long click on a computer your want to access until it shows the menu options. By default, it shows 3 pre-setting dyanmic port forward options for ssh, vnc and rdp. Choose the one you need.
3. Launch the software (if want to use ssh, run ConnectBot; vnc or rdp, run the pocketcloud). In those software, setup the target to "localhost" and port is 32973.
Note: Should be always "localhost" and port: 32973.

The idea behind this is: ConnectBot connects to localhost:32973 (it's the proxy server run by NR for Android), then NR for Android redirects the connection to the remote computer in the VLAN. So you just need to set this in your ConnectBot once.

4. Whenever you want to connect to another computer, go to the NR for Android, long click on that computer and choose a proper port, then run the third party software connect to the "localhost:32973". It will switch to the new target.

5. NR for Android run as a service. Make sure it's running when you launch third party software.

Here is a step by step guide of how to use ConnectBot over NR for Android
http://www.neorouter.com/android/quickstart.html

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 pm 

Hi Kevin,
Fantastic, ty for clearing up about it always being "localhost" for host and 32973 for port always. Got really confused. Works great now, I see that I have to set VNC and RDP each time separately to access through either protocols.

Is there a way to use NeoRouter to connect through with SMB? Im trying to find a way to stream my music from my Windows 7 Ultimate Box to my Android. Any Ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:50 pm 

Hi Pneulemen,

Glad to know it works for you. To access the shared folders on a Windows machine, you can try the "Blackhole" http://code.google.com/p/blackhole/ . It's a Samba client for Android, using jcifs library. You can try to set a port forward for 445/tcp to use it. I think it should work though I haven't test yet.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team