Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Append Computer Name and IP to DNS Lookup Table Option
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:50 am 

Loving NeoRouter, and cannot wait to see what's in store for the future.

I've noticed several people discussing name resolution, IP addresses, possibly using WINS and/or a DNS server into the VLAN.

I've simply created entries within my lmhosts file for name resolution, but of course this is a manual create and update process that can get out of hand quickly on a large VLAN like we're building up quickly.

I'd like to suggest an option allowing the user to append Neorouter computer name and IP address to the client pc's dns lookup tables, possibly using the DNS Cache if you can avoid the poisoning pitfalls.

Possibly append the VLAN domain name as a suffix thus avoiding DNS resolution failures/conflicts when 2 clients are in the same VLAN and on the same physical LAN i.e. client1.domainname.local might be a corporate DNS schema and NeoRouter could be client1.neorouter_login_domain.local which could be it's VLAN DNS schema.

Each client would then handle it's own dns resolution and the NR server would not need to process DNS queries and run the risk of responding to outside DNS requests by computers not within it's VLAN.

Or a less dynamic approach might be to maintain a central hosts file (which you're most likely already doing in some fashion or another) which could be appended to a local hosts file or copied to clipboard which the user could append themselves.

Most users might now understand how to configure a dedicated DNS server to service requests on the NR VLAN and I'm sure most admins wont want to add zones within their corporate DNS servers to handle NR VAN's. Something to this effect might be a good workaround.

Thanks again KevinZ and team... great product!