Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter Linux Server Randomly Stops Working
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 pm 

I have been having an issue with my NR server on my linux box. I've actually tried moving it from one box to another, but am still having the same issue.

What happens is after a few days, sometimes a few weeks, my clients start losing the ability to connect to each other. The clients can all login to the server, and all show as online, but I cant connect.

Often, some clients will connect, and other wont. And then it gets worse, and eventually none can connect to any.

When the server is in this state, if I use /etc/init.d/nrserver stop
The server never actually stops, I have to kill it with a kill -p 9

Once I do that, and start the server back up, all of the clients can connect to each other once again.

I want to generate a useful log file, but I can't do so using what was shown in the wiki, because that log grows to fast, and I can't leave that running for days or weeks. Is there something I can change about logtype, or mask that will perform less verbose logging?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter Linux Server Randomly Stops Working
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm 

Hi mugendai,

If you have a lot of clients connected to the server and the load is heavy, you may want to think about performance tunning. It's also related to your hardware.

From software perspective, I have some thoughts:

1. Can you try out the latest version 1.1.3 if you use the Free edition? In this build, we improved performance a lot. If you use Pro edition, you can test the beta version separately and you can use the new "Packet Filtering " feature to block useless packets.

2.Please monitor the CPU, Memory and network usage and find out the bottleneck.

3. If you have a lot of clients connected to the server and most of them cannot create P2P connection, you may want to think about traffic control at OS level.

Please let us know if you have more information so that we can help you out.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 pm 

I am not having performance issues.

CPU/memory/bandwidth are all fine.

The clients can connect to the nr server fine.

What happens is that the clients begin to not be able to connect to each other as time passes.

I've installed the 1.1.3 version on the server now. I'll let you know if that helps, if not, maybe you can help me to capture a useful log.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 am 

Hi mugendai,

It would be better to collect full trace log, but if it's difficult for you, you can put mask to 536870911 , which will reduce some detailed information.

Please send it to support@neorouter.com and we will investigate.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 am 

Alright, thanks. When I had first turned it on, the log file grew to around 200 megs in only a couple of hours. It would be gigs by the time I had a problem.

(Maybe it was growing so fast because I was sshed to the nr server via nr and was tailing the log, I would think only the clients would be affected by that though)

Anyway, I am going to test the new version, but I've been having this issue since befor version 1, soo it may still exist.

Since it can take a week before the issue occurs, and I am only going to try logging if it happens again, it may be a couple of weeks before I reply on this issue.

Thanks again for this awesome product.