Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neorouter configuration explorer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 am 

I keep getting signin failed because connection to server cannot be established. [hr=0x8007274c].

I get this error when I try to sign in the configuration explorer using the domain name I set up. When I can log on the configuration explorer using 127.0.0.1 in the log on to field instead of the domain name I setup,
I have set up the listening port as 32976 under the domain name I created.

And I set up the port forwarding in my router configuration:
Service Name Start Port End Port Server IP Address
NeoRouter Server 32976 32976 192.168.1.2

So what can cause the error?

Post subject: Re: Neorouter configuration explorer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 pm 

Hi momojo,

Please try to log on using the public IP of your router see if it works? If it does not work, your router may have the hairpin issue. For more information, please check out here: http://www.neorouter.com/wiki/index.php ... 2_issue.3F

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:28 pm 

I tried to sign in on the configuration explorer using the ipaddress from whatismyipaddress.com on the log on to field. I got the same error message. Did I follow your suggestion?

Does it matter that I am trying to sign on using the computer that has LAN access only without wireless access?

i do not follow what you suggested in the hairpin link.
Pls see my comment/question under ***** for each section

1. You can log on to your server from a computer INSIDE your home LAN using the private IP ADDRESS.
Yes I CAN sign in THE configuration explorer using address 192.168.1.2.
Is this what you want me to do???
WHat is home LAN? Is that including wireless AND wired connection???

2. You can log on to your server from another computer OUTSIDE your home LAN using your DOMAIN NAME.
Are you saying to install the configuration explorer on another computer that is connected wireless and try sign in?
Pls specify.

Solution:
1.If you use NeoRouter domain, you can use the "Server Local Address" setting in the Network Explorer to solve the issue. Choose menu item "Connection ..." >> "Server Local Address" tab, choose the option "Connect to server using its local address when possible" and fill in the information.
After this setting, you may want to restart the NeoRouter client service from services.msc.
It will detect your computer position automatically. If your computer is in your home LAN, it will use the local IP address to connect to your server instead of the public IP.

I logged in the network explorer not configuration explorer and there is connection menu under file menue but I do not see server local address setting. I only see client to client connection and internet connection settings. Pls specify what I need to do.
I attached a screenshot of my connection menu.

2.If you don't use NeoRouter domain, please input the local IP address of the NeoRouter server when you log on to the server from a computer in the same NAT router as the server.

I use the neorouter so I guess this doesn't apply. Pls let me know what options I have other than neoRouter.

Attachments:
neoRouter.JPG
neoRouter.JPG [ 30 KiB | Viewed 34148 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 pm 

Hi momojo,

The version you are using is pretty old, please download the latest version, which supports the "server local setting" in the File >> Connection >> "Server Local Setting" tab.

Can you go to the Dashboard site, log on with your NR domain name / password, and run the test (click on the "test" button) against your server?
Based on your description, if pass the test, your router has the hairpin issue. If fail to pass, please check the "port forwarding" setting in your router.

Btw, what the FAQ mentioned about the computer outside your home LAN, means a computer in your office or friends home. From there you can run either NR Portable or NR client using the domain name without any problem.

[Office PC] <------> Internet <-------> [Router/NAT] <-----> NR Server
NR Client(A).................................\--------------> NR Client (B)

If the [Router/NAT] has hairpin issue, NR Client (A) can connect to the server using public IP or NR domain name, NR Client(B) has to use local ip address of NR server.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 am 

I tried the dashboard and it failed.
So per your suggestion I thought the port forwarding is the issue.
But I do not see anything wrong I set up in port forwarding. I followed the installation video in your website and that was it.

To check this further with port forwarding, I setup another laptop (windows XP SP3) which is wireless at home. I set up another NeoRouter server with a new domain name in this laptop. Now I can sign in the configuration and network explorers using a new domain name. Great so far.
However, when I use the android NeoRouter and then launch connectBot using “user@localhost:32973” via SSH, I get:
connection lost reset by peer message.
I tried so many times and it does that every time.

Also, when I click remote desktop on the computer in network explorer, I get: "Client could not connect. You are already connected to console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established."

Is the remote desktop message related to why the connectbot says connection lost reset by peer??? Can you help me with this android issue?

Also tying back to the original issue that I have trouble even signing in using the first domain name in the first computer, what else can be the issue? Since I got the wireless laptop signed in the configuration and network explorer, port forowarding is probably fine. What do you think??? What can be the cause with that original issue?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:34 am 

Hi momojo,

There would be several issues you came cross, let's figure it out one by one.

1. The ConnectBot or vnc/rdp client on Android phone cannot connect to the sshd or terminal server.
From your description, you lost a connection to it. There's too many variables to say what exactly it was. So you may want to find out the root reason.
a. Can you run ConnectBot or vnc/rdp client to the target without NeoRouter? This can test if the applications over NR VLAN work. You can using WiFi and run ConnectBot or rdp client using the target IP.
b. Once you sign in to the NR server from your Android phone, you can see your Android phone in the computer list from Configuration Explorer. So let your Android phone gets signed in and run Configuration Explorer, go to the "Computer" tab and you should see the phone listed there and you can see its virtual IP. Since Android client is in temporary type, you won't see it from Network Explorer, but you can ping its virtual IP from your computer. Try it see if it works. If you got the ping response, its more like your software settings issue.

2. Still cannot access to the original domain but the new domain works.
If your port forwarding gets set properly, please check firewall settings in both router and OS. By default NeoRouter server would open the firewall if it has permission, but please double check. To test, you can simply telnet to your public IP + port. For example, you can map the terminal service port and try it using the public ip see if it works.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 am 

a. Can you run ConnectBot or vnc/rdp client to the target without NeoRouter? This can test if the applications over NR VLAN work. You can using WiFi and run ConnectBot or rdp client using the target IP.
I am afraid I do not know what you are suggesting for me to do. Please give me step by step instruction on what I need to do if you can. I am not sure if I am supposed to even use android for your suggestion... I am really lost to what I need to do.

b. Once you sign in to the NR server from your Android phone, you can see your Android phone in the computer list from Configuration Explorer. So let your Android phone gets signed in and run Configuration Explorer, go to the "Computer" tab and you should see the phone listed there and you can see its virtual IP. Since Android client is in temporary type, you won't see it from Network Explorer, but you can ping its virtual IP from your computer. Try it see if it works. If you got the ping response, its more like your software settings issue.
I attached two screenshots. Pls let me know if I followed your suggestion properly and also let me know if you think I have ping response since it timed out first.

2. Still cannot access to the original domain but the new domain works.
If your port forwarding gets set properly, please check firewall settings in both router and OS. By default NeoRouter server would open the firewall if it has permission, but please double check. To test, you can simply telnet to your public IP + port. For example, you can map the terminal service port and try it using the public ip see if it works.
Which computer do I use to telnet? The original computer or the second one with wireless or android??? Also pls put exact command that I need to run. Is my public ip address the one I get from whatismyipaddress.com? Also what port number do I use>? How can I map the termnical service port? Again I am lost to what I need to try. Pls give me step by step instruction if you can.
Attachment:
File comment: configuration explorer. Is the one with local host you are referring to?
neorouter1.JPG
neorouter1.JPG [ 41.53 KiB | Viewed 34085 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: What does this result tell you?
neorouter2.JPG
neorouter2.JPG [ 46.47 KiB | Viewed 34124 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:01 pm 

Hi momojo,

Good to know that you can ping your android phone, it means the problem is more like either your software or "dynamic port forward".

1. Test the ConnectBot without NeoRouter.
a. Assume your sshd is running on 192.168.0.x
b. Run ConnectBot and log on to "user@192.168.0.x"
does it work?

2. Test your first domain (not working one)
a. Assume your computer (winxp) has terminal service running and you can remote desktop to it using it's local IP for example: 192.168.0.x
b. Go to your router, create a port forwarding from Internet 3389 to 192.168.0.x:3389
c. Go to get the public ip of the router from whatismyipaddress.com, write it down, for example: 202.xxx.xxx.xxx
d. Go to a computer, run mstsc.exe, in the "Computer" field input the public ip you get from step "c".
does it work?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm 

1. Test the ConnectBot without NeoRouter.
a. Assume your sshd is running on 192.168.0.x
b. Run ConnectBot and log on to "user@192.168.0.x"
does it work?
Following is what I did since I am not sure if I follow you.
On my android, I exit from neoRouter Android.
I open the connectbot and log on the user@192.168.1.101 which ipaddress I got from the ipaddress from ipconfig on my wireless laptop.
The result is
"Connection Lost
192.168.1.101/192.168.1.101:22 - network unreachable"

I also tried to logging on NeoRouter on my android and did the steps above and got the same results above.

Did I follow your suggestion???

2. Test your first domain (not working one)
a. Assume your computer (winxp) has terminal service running and you can remote desktop to it using it's local IP for example: 192.168.0.x
On the original computer on the computer field in the remote desktop application, I entered the ipaddress from ipconfig.

I get: "Client could not connect. You are already connected to console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established."

b. Go to your router, create a port forwarding from Internet 3389 to 192.168.0.x:3389
on the router, what do I enter for the service name? Is it telnet???
Pls let me know so I can add another entry in port forwarding.

c. Go to get the public ip of the router from whatismyipaddress.com, write it down, for example: 202.xxx.xxx.xxx
d. Go to a computer, run mstsc.exe, in the "Computer" field input the public ip you get from step "c".
does it work?
I haven't tried this since I haven't done b.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:08 pm 

Hi momojo,

1.From your results, it seems your sshd does not work. Please setup your sshd first then you can use ConnectBot.

2.You cannot remote desktop to the same computer. If you cannot find another computer, let's try this.
a. Assume your computer (winxp) has terminal service running. go to the computer, open the Command Prompt, type:
telnet localhost 3389
If you don't see any error message, it means you can connect to it. or you cannot even use remote desktop to your computer.
d. go to the computer, open the Command Prompt, type:
telnet [public ip get from step "c"] 3389
does it work?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team