Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: nrserver failed to start due to error -2147024771
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 pm 

I'm running the "in a box" version of nrserver free on a linksys wrt54g v.4 with the tomato firmware with nrserver pre-installed that is in your downloads.

It's been working perfect for about 6 months until just now, when it won't let anyone log in, and when I restart nrserver, gives error -2147024771 as the reason it can't start.

I am attaching the log file (nrserver.log) it generated.
Attachment:
nrserver.log [5.61 KiB]
Downloaded 1159 times

Please respond quickly...I kind of depend on neorouter on a daily basis.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: nrserver failed to start due to error -2147024771
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm 

I should note, despite nrserver saying it failed to start, I later realized it DID start, the process even kept running, and the neorouter.com dashboard thought the server was up, despite nobody being able to log in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 pm 

hi lienmeat,

Thank you for using NeoRouter.

The error code 0x8007007d simply means you are trying to launch two instances of nrserver and the second instance failed to bind to server listen port.

The log shows that you are using an old NR Free build. Please upgrade to the latest release NR Free v1.1.4. Because we frequently release Free edition, we encourage users to check our website for updates every few months and try the cool new features that we are developing. We provide technical support for the most recent NR Free releases.

For users who prefer stability, please consider purchase an NR Professional license. Please see http://www.neorouter.com/products.html for the differences between the two editions.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:04 pm 

I actually had a pretty recent version, but I upgraded nonetheless...

Still have an issue though.

The server no longer gives that error when starting, however, I still can't log into neorouter.

I know my credentials are correct, because I copied NeoRouter_0_0_1.db over to another installation on a laptop and everything worked fine. I'd run my laptop as the server, but I need to use it elsewhere...it has to run on my router.

When I try logging in using the linux version of the client, it reports: Sign in failed, error 0X80820101. Maybe this will help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 pm 

hi lienmeat,

Did you format /jffs after upgrade? The new build of tomato is larger. Please backup the database file, upgrade firmware, format /jffs, then copy the database file back. See v1.1.4 release note (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4437)

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 am 

I followed the instructions at the bottom of that post.
Backed up the /jffs dir onto my local machine, upgraded the firmware, formatted jffs2, and then put the files back on, but I still get the same error. (Sign in failed, error 0X80820101.)

I don't understand what's going on now. I thought sure that was gonna do the trick because it sounded pretty sensible, but it hasn't worked.

The version of nrserver on my laptop is the same build...so that's not it either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 am 

can you run "df" command and see how much flash space left?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm 

if / needs free space...then that's the reason it's not working...

Code:
# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.6M      2.6M         0 100% /
df: proc: No such file or directory
df: ramfs: No such file or directory
/dev/mtdblock/3         448.0K    332.0K    116.0K  74% /jffs

I was thinking maybe it's possible I didn't have enough free ram, what do you think?:
Code:
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        14528        13720          808            0         1088
Swap:            0            0            0
Total:        14528        13720          808

I'm not familiar with the requirements of the in a box version at all, so I'm lost as to if either of these is an issue.

Also, I'm still not able to sign in, but today it's not giving an error when I run nrclientcmd (it was still giving the error last night), it's just hanging indefinitely at the "connecting to NeoRouter Server" step.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm 

Please take a look at anther post on this topic. Nrserver for tomato may be reaching the limit of some versions of wrt54gl. Can you try openwrt instead? I believe you can use the same db file.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4442

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 pm 

ah darn. It's possible I could run another firmware, but in my experience there is no equal to tomato.

I used to be a huge fan of ddwrt which has a similar feature set, and I've tried openwrt before too, and they seem to be far more buggy, less intuitive (that's a big one), and I seem to have a much less stable router than I do with tomato.

The biggest reason, bar none, that I use tomato, is because of how awesome the QOS stuff is, and how easy it is to do on tomato. I've never found anything that does it better.

I'm gonna do some additional testing to see if memory or flash space is the issue, but I actually don't believe it is because in every other way, the router is responding normally even under very intense load, and it worked perfect for a very long time before.

Thanks for all your help on this though. I wouldn't have thought to reformat the jffs2 without you linking that info to me, as it was at the very very bottom of the instructions and I know how to do this stuff pretty well by now...so I probably wouldn't have read them all the way through.