Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NeoRouter on ARM Processor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 pm 

We are trying to install NeoRouter on a SheevaPlug computer that uses an ARM processor. The operating system on it is Ubuntu 9.04. We tried using both the Intel and amd64 NeoRouter installers that are available for Ubuntu but it doesn't work because it needs an ARM compiled binary.

How do we go about using NeoRouter on this type of machine? I don't mind recompiling the software on ARM architecture but I don't see any downloads for the source code. Please let us know how best to proceed.

Post subject: Re: NeoRouter on ARM Processor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 pm 

Hi NiGHTS,

Thanks for your suggestion. But we don't have plan for it yet unless more users request for it.

Check out here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1143

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am 

Hi
OpenVPN (your competitor) is very available for the ARM processor, so we will be forced to migrate. NeoRouter has a much nicer interface, so this saddens us, but the PlugPCs are very useful devices that can be installed anywhere there is power. However to safely network them requires that they automatically log into a VPN. Many organizations use dozens of them at once. they are not like normal PCs.

Please don't base your decision on whether to implement ARM support on the number of email complaints you get, since there are likely some frustrated users who did not scour your forums about this esoteric subject prior to attempting to install your product unsuccessfully on a SheevaPlug. Plug Computing has a huge future but it requires VPN connectivity to be safe. You could partner with Marvell and Ubuntu and own this market!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm 

Hi NiGHTS,

We would like to support as more kinds of devices as possible, with our limited resources. So we have to prioritize all tasks and work on the one first, that would bring more benefit to our most users.

SheevaPlug is a pretty nice device and I like it as well. If more SheevaPlug users show the interest in NeoRouter, we would popup the priority of it in our schedule.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:47 am 

I definitely vote for a Sheeva-plug version (Ubuntu), it is also to consider a Guru-plug version, as Guru-plug is the newer version with more I/F then Sheeva-plug from Marvell. Guru-plug runs on Debian. There is also a Guru-plug version with display output planned, but has not shipped yet. With a Sheeva or Guru-plug version any router can be used and still have the advantage of low power when rest of network is maybe off.

regards, Wolfgang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 pm 

+1 more for neorouter ARM processor support :) got one of these to migrate a few servers off my power hungry rigs... would be nice to run neorouter instead of openvpn on it :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 am 

I have NetGear Stora ML2000 (NAS) on ARM (armv5tejl) with GNU/Linux 2.6.22.18. Many usefull package i install on it (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/). NeoRoute use on Win & Linux PC. MUST have and on NAS :) Nibary or source? Anything please.

Fedya K.
Russia.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 am 

Any news on ARM package ? I would like to see it too... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm 

Yea just installed the server and went to install the client on a Sheeva Plug and saw it did not support ARM processors. Hope to see it soon so we can start using this product.

Thanks a lot for the good work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm 

+1 would love to replace hamachi on my QNAP NAS (arm based model)