Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate sees server PC but thats it......
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 am 

Hi, Sorry, another newbie... I have set up my admin account and a server. The client and server are on the same computer. So, I have opened the network explorer and added my computer. I have opened the config explorer and I see "localhost" computer as temporary and my "main_computer" as permanent. The info seems correct. I then added ports to firewall exceptions (32976) and to the port forwarding section of my router's firmware. I installed the NR & Connectbot apps on my phone and followed the instructions on the quickstart web page. when I logged in to NR I found my PC with a colored windows icon beside it. Very excited now, I went to cbot and entered (my own username, same as in the domain profile)@(my host name, which I assume is the domain name in the profile):32976. and I get the message "connecting to (my domain name):32976 via ssh" then "connection lost (my domain name) host has disconnected" I'd like to send you more specific info but I probably shouldn't post it here... But based on what I've said here, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Are there more settings in XP or on the phone that I am missing? A couple more things I should mention are (1); when I go to set up static port forwarding, there is nothing on the screen, odd since I am using a static IP address on my PC. In Dynamic port forwarding, there are 3 options. I choose ssh and it reads "localhost:32973->$NRIPAddress:22" . When I click on that local port is grayed out at 32973. I thought the default port was 32976. To allow for this (just in case) I added these tcp and udp port numbers to port forwarding in the router and the firewall exceptions. still no luck. If anyone can decipher this posting and tell me what I'm messing up I'd really appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate sees server PC but thats it......
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am 

Hi fluxtilt,

You may want to call the sshd from cbot by connecting to "127.0.0.1:32973" instead of the NR server:32976, as NR for Android works as an proxy server running on your Android and redirect the connections to the target in the VLAN.

Use the dynamic port forwarding instead of the static, as it supports the ssh (22/tcp) already. What you need to do is choosing the target machine from the computer list shown on your Android, go to cbot and log on to 127.0.0.1:32973.

The following diagram would help you to understand it:
cbot <----> localhost:32973/tcp <----> NR for Android <-----> target machine:22/tcp

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm 

KevinZ; thanks for the reply. I don't know where that IP (127.0.0.1) came from, but I tried it "Rob@127.0.0.1:32973" from cbot. I got "premature connection close" The IP in brackets beside my computer name in the NR widow (referring to connected PC's) is 10.0.0.1, I tried connecting to that using the same format. (Rob@10.0.0.1:32973) It says "connection lost No route to host. with (Rob@localhost:32973) I get "premature connection close premature connection close" repeated and the connection stays open but there is nothing else (this is the closest I have gotten). I have added ports 32973, 32976, 22 tcp/udp to firewall exceptions and router port forwarding. I have a standard DI-624 d-link router (old but effective) behind a motorola SB5101 hi-speed cable modem. I actually don't know what to expect to see once it is running. what kind of message will I see on the NR or cbot windows on my phone? should I be able to see my PC file structure or my desk top? Another thing is in the config manager, the IP that is displayed in network information is the general IP for my ISP in my city. should I change this to my machine's IP or something else? I know that these are a lot of questions but I feel that I'm pretty close to being up and running but for some reason my PC is rejecting access by my phone. I would like to send some screenshots so you can see what I've done. Maybe that would help.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 pm 

Hi fluxtilt,

Just noticed that the target PC you are trying to connect to is a Windows machine. Are you sure you have ssh server installed on it? cbot is a ssh client and often used for connecting to a linux/unix box which has sshd running. If you want to remote access to a Windows machine, you may need other app for Android, such as rdp or vnc clients.

127.0.0.1 means localhost, where NR for Android is listening at 32973/tcp.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm 

Hey Fluxtilt,

I have the same problem. I can't access my pc (Windows Vista) from my phone (Android) for the same reason. Did you get it to work? if u did can you tell me exactly what you did, and what application I should use instead of ConnectBot.

I would appreciate it if you could help me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 pm 

Reza; I would probably be breaking some forum rule if I posted the link to the following blog since it uses server/client options other than Neorouter and promoting a third party's service. However, since I can't think of a reason why these instructions wouldn't work with Neorouter and Connectbot, after all I'm using none of the products that the author is suggesting (nor the phone). I am simply following the fundamentals and Neorouter customers will also find them helpful. I finally got it to work after the first try through my dynamic DSN by taking advantage of the free service. Including all the other stuff I tried....that would be the hundred and first try in all.

Search for a blog called ITforthecommonman Hosted by Peter Tyrrell. and follow the posting from Feb 5 2010.

I used the same process for four other handy apps that need access to your home PC since. They all work well.

Good luck.