Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Server worked yesterday, is stuck "offline" today.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:29 am 

I also have this problem with Ubuntu Linux Server X64. They are online for at best some days and then stop working. And it says something when restarting it that nrservice or nrserver is not running. It would be nice if there was some kind of watchdog utility that continously checks if the service is working and if it's not it restarts it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17 am 

Hi Fusion,

You can create such a watchdog yourself as a cron job. There is an example on page 10 in the NeoRouter User Manual. I am hoping to avoid doing that (although it is easy to do). I do have such a cron job running on a 32-bit Ubuntu system which is acting as a Hamachi server, because there the Hamachi daemon dies frequently.

In my experience with NeoRouter on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.4, it is always nrservice which fails, never nrserver. You can tell which is still up vs. which has died by "ps aux | grep nrserv" in a terminal window. Then restart the dead one by "sudo /etc/init.d/nrservice.sh start", as you have probably already found, using nrservice as an example. No need to reboot the computer.

On the plus side, I am testing NeoRouter on a different 32-bit Ubuntu 10.4 system and it has never crashed so far. Also, Hamachi on Windows XP never crashes, in my experience. Also, in my experience, NeoRouter on client systems (not running nrserver) never crashes. It is always nrservice which crashes, but only on server systems. By the way, you can run both Hamachi and NeoRouter on the same computer (at least, as clients only) with no trouble.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:04 pm 

hi bluejay41,

Can you uninstall Hamachi and try if nrservice starts correctly at system startup? Hamachi may use conflicting ports.
NRService listens at port 32975 for NRClientCmd on the same box to connect. From one of the log you sent me, it seems NRService failed to bind to this port then exited.

Thanks,
Luke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm 

Thanks Blujay for the tip on the cronjob.

This really stabilised the situation on the Ubuntu Server x64 platform.

Now only problem left is that neorouter 1.5 server on windows 7 platform stops accepting clients to login after some hours. So as long as the clients are connected there is no problem but if a computer reboots it never connects in until server is restarted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 pm 

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the info about nrservice failing to find the port!

However, I do not have Hamachi on this particular Ubuntu system--I would hesitate to put two VPN servers on the same system. Two VPN clients seems to be OK (in the case of Hamachi and NeoRouter) but it would depend on the particular clients I would think.

In fact, I have never tried Hamachi yet on any 64-bit system, nor on Windows 7 (32 or 64).

Yet your suggestion may be right on, anyway. This Ubuntu box gets its IP address via DHCP from my router. It is always 192.168.1.100 because my computer is always the first one on in the mornings. But I have no idea exactly how (or more to the point, exactly when) the router furnishes that information to Ubuntu. I could study the logs and find out, I suppose.

I only left it as a DHCP assignment because I thought I would be done with my testing on this particular platform within a few hours. Silly me!

Also, it is the router, of course, that port forwards 32975 to 192.168.1.100.

What if it is a timing problem, the port not being available until after nrservice has already given it a shot?

What if I make 192.168.1.100 a fixed address, and let the router assign addresses 102.168.1.101 and higher?

What if I stick a 5 second (or 5 minute) sleep into the nrservice.sh? I'll try that.

What if your code, after it fails to open port 32975 waits a few seconds and tries one more time? That might protect it quite well from obscure timing problems. Note: the router is on 24/7.

Thanks,

Bluejay41

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:25 pm 

Hi Luke and Fusion,

Putting "sleep 5" in nrservice.sh just after it writes its first log message and just before it calls the start-stop daemon FIXES THE PROBLEM of the immediate crash of nrservice.sh after bootup! Well, 2 out of 2 tries. And it doesn't SOLVE the real problem, it just supplies a workaround.

And Luke's previous fix for the 64-bit bug (with build 2810a) had already fixed all the other random crashes of nrservice.sh. So I am a happy camper. As is often the case, when the symptoms seem inexplicable, it is because two unrelated problems were going on simultaneously.

Luke, I will email you the nrservice log.

Thank you very much!

Bluejay41

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 pm 

Ran fine for two and a half days with "sleep 5" in nrservice.sh with multiple reboots during that time, but failed twice in a row Friday afternoon. Changed it to "sleep 10" and it immediately worked. Will watch and wait, fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm 

Hi Fusion and others following this thread,

The NeoRouter team has given me a build to test which I have been testing for 2.5 days. It seems to solve all the 64-bit Ubuntu problems that I know of. No necessity now for the "sleep 10" in a shell file, or for a crontab job to keep a daemon up. I am sure these fixes will be released in an upcoming version. Anyone who has an immediate need for a fix might try contacting NeoRouter directly.

Thanks to everyone, especially Luke and the whole NeoRouter development team. Logmein Hamachi, take note of how to treat your customers, and how to fix your bugs.

BLuejay41

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:15 pm 

Yes i have also had this happen one time. Yesterday the client service was running but it failed to reconnect so i had to restart it. But it seems to work nearly all the time.