Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Protect your Internet traffic on public Wi-Fi hotspots-How?!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:43 pm 

On the main page, visitors see this:

Quote:
For Home Users
NeoRouter brings your digital world together and creates a network that revolves around you. Access home computers securely from anywhere

Share photos and videos with friends and family

Assist friends and family with computer problems remotely

Protect your Internet traffic on public Wi-Fi hotspots

Play network games

The part I'm interested in is in bold. It implies that, using neorouter, you can use a public WiFi hotspot and have your Internet traffic routed to a different gateway via VPN... not just VPN local network traffic.

What I want to do is a litle different' I want to tether my laptop with my cellphone but have all traffic routed through my home PC... even Internet traffic.

I've been reading neorouter Wiki, FAQ, and more all day and can't find even one reference to this very prominent "feature" that was trumpeted on the main page. HOW DO I DO THIS? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Protect your Internet traffic on public Wi-Fi hotspots-How?!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 am 

Hi CZroe,

Your understanding is correct. Using proxy is what we recommend for most users, though NeoRouter supports the way that routes ALL traffic to a remote gateway.

In a public Wi-Fi place, the Internet traffic can be encrypted and routed to a remote gateway over the NeoRouter virtual network. There are two approaches.

1. Use proxy - recommended
Setup a proxy server at home and setup proxy option in your applications, for example: IE, firefox and so on, with the virtual IP address on your laptop, on which NeoRouter Client is installed. Similarly you can route the traffic from your cellphone as well. (I don't know the model of your cellphone cannot give more details here)

For most users, we suggest to use this approach, as it's simple, efficient and fast. It's pretty simple to setup a proxy server by installing the 3proxy add-on for NeoRouter, which can be downloaded from http://www.neorouter.com/addons/index.html

2. Use "Network Bridge" feature
NeoRouter also allows you to route ALL traffic to a remote gatewaw, like any other traditional VPN. But as I said, we don't recommend it. It's an advanced feature and needs more manual settings.

a)On NR Clients both in your laptop and the remote gateway, enable the "Network Bridge" option in the Feature.ini, so that it can accept any packets.

b) You may want to setup your remote gateway to accept those packets and route them to either Internet or a proxy server.

c) On you laptop, you may want to do the following steps:

(1) A static route to the other tunnel partner is created.
(2) The old default gateway is deleted.
(3) A new entry for the default gateway is created (pointing to the IP address of the other tunnel endpoint).

For example:
debian01:~# route add 172.16.103.2 gw 172.16.247.1
debian01:~# route del default
debian01:~# route add default gw 10.179.10.2

Of cause, you may want to enable IP forward feature on your OS (linux/mac/windows).

Note: you may want to change here or there in terms of your environment.

Let us know if you still have problem.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 pm 

I am trying to set up something similar. I have added the 3proxy client on a neorouter free client windows 7 x64(internal network) machine with the default 1080 port open for tcp incoming. I connected my laptop to a free hotspot and then started the neorouter free client on the laptop. I was able to connect the nr client and see my computers in the list, but when I set up the proxy server on my laptop(also a win7x64 machine) I can not browse the internet or ping any machines on the internal network. On the remote laptop connected to the free hotspot, I entered the virtual ip address of the machine on the internal network with 3proxy running and entered port 1080.

Am i missing something? I did not make any changes to the 3proxy add-on after installing it, I just rebooted the machine. I tried turning the windows firewall off on both machines and it made no difference. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 am 

Hi jhalle,

There would be a mistake that you should not change the Internet Network with the VIP.

When using the proxy server (3proxy), you have to setup the proxy settings in each of the application you'd like to run. For example, you want to surf internet using FireFox browser, then you may want to go to the Network option of FireFox and setup the proxy with the VIP on which the 3proxy is running. Then teh FireFox will connect to the 3proxy over the virtual network. Since all traffic in the virtual network are encrypted, your information get protected. Similar to other applications such as FTP client, IE and so on. Note: not all traffic are routed to the proxy in this way.

Another way is routing all traffic to a remote gateway, no need to setup proxy for each application. But it is not an easy setup and you can refer to my last post to do this. Note: the network knowlodge is required, so I don't recommend this way.

Let us know if you still have problem

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRotuer team