Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Redundant Servers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:12 pm 

From my research, this isn't implemented, and I would love if it was.

Currently my neorouter server is running on my windows gaming PC. This is fine unless a game crashes and brings the system with it. I would love to be able to host a redundant server on one of my linux machines, since this would solve any downtime issues. All of my machines act as testboxes for various things, so I don't have a singular stable machine, but a redundant setup would be amazing.

Post subject: Re: Redundant Servers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:13 pm 

I'd like to 2nd this. Server redundancy would be a big plus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 pm 

I hadn't thought, before, of the following when I've seen similar requests. I'm not a NeoRouter staff person and I haven't tried this.

You could write a script for the computer hosting a backup server. That script would regularly ping the computer hosting the regular server and when it is not reached starts the service on the backup server. Once the regular server is back up the script would stop the service on the backup.

There are definitely issues to be worked out with this plan; like having a similar script on the primary server that pings the backup server to know when it has stopped it's server so it can start it's own; like dealing with the propagation time for a new server to become visible to the clients, like having a ip service like no-ip and a script to swap out the IP address; and resetting the clients to the new IP address; etc..

As a hint, in Windows the start/stop command line looks like this:
net stop nrconnectionserver
net start nrconnectionserver

I would use AutoIT to make a script for Windows just because I know it some what, I don't know how to write scripts for Linux (but am getting ready to learn).

I don't know if this would work because I haven't tried it ... yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 pm 

Definitely an interesting thought; but so much better if built into the NR server software.