All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: shared folders protection
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 pm 

kevinZ, can you tell me if NeoRouter has a feature to avoid
a specific user can open a specific shared folder stored in a Pc
inside the virtual LAN? In the manual, I only read the administrator
can block a user from accessing a certain machine or application; and
I read NeoRouter cannot use the Windows accounts, so I think Windows
folder privileges don't work for neoRouter users.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: shared folders protection
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm 

Hi orsobubu,

Thanks for your interest in NeoRouter.

NeoRouter ACL allows you to turn on/off the shared files to a computer for specific user (NeoRouter user), but you can not specify a specific folder so far. Though NeoRouter users are not Windows accounts, you can still use Windows folder privileges to protect your specific shared folder from other users.

The idea is NeoRouter help you create a virtual LAN consisting of computers located anywhere physically. As same as in a normal LAN, you can share your folders to any Windows users. If a users has permission or password, he can access your shared resources.

Let us know if you still have concern.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:42 pm 

ahhh... ok!!! kevinz, neoRouter would be exactly what I need. At present I cannot experiment with it because I can connect only using network explorer and only as localhost. I'm trying to investigate helping me with forum answers, and I hope to discover something about the router or other tricks. I'll keep you updated... thx very much!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:26 pm 

hi orsobubu,

You may want to open the server listen port to the Internet. You can set the port forwarding in your router.

After that, you can use the link http://www.neorouter.com/checkport.php to check if your server can be access properly.

Good luck,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:08 pm 

kevinz,

NeoRouter installed on PC "A" inside an XPpro LAN (internet>d-link router>PC) can only connect to domain "A" as localhost, both with n.explorer or configuration interface; checkport for TCP 32976 passed, tcp/udp/relay connection tested, removing default gateway of NeoRouter adapter tested, neorouter adapter is the last in the connections list.

NeoRouter installed on PC "B" inside a different XPpro LAN (internet>ISP NAT router>netgear router>PC) can easily connect to domain "B" as admin with configuration interface, and can easily connect to domain "A" as user with n.explorer interface; PC "A" correctly manages user/computer settings for domain "A".

what do you suggest me for PC "A", aside to change the d-link router??? in the past, I discovered this d-link DI-524 router cannot permit a Microsoft XP VPN because it lacks controls for the GRE 47 protocol.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:25 am 

Hi orsobubu,

Thanks for your inputs. It seems working well. Enjoy it!

NeoRouter is using SSL protocol instead of PPTP which requires your router GRE 47.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 pm 

yes, I'll be able to connect from clients outside my LAN, and this is what really matters. But I would like to know if someone among several users having the same problem as mine (server and network explorer inside LAN cannot connect to domain, also with router port forwarding) ever succeeded in finding a solution. All posts I reviewed, i.e.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=media

ALWAYS have not an happy ending... i suspect it is not a forwarding issue, because people finally do understand the importance of a correct router setup; more, my router is the same model featured in your video tutorials, so I think it's possible the modem be too much old instead. My adsl modem, for example, is the very first 2004 version provided by my ISP.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 pm 

Hi orsobubu,

It looks a little bit weird, but maybe we can figure out the issue since your computers outside your home LAN work well.

Try this:

1. From any computer inside your home LAN, run the NeoRouter Configuration Explorer and log on to your public IP or domain name see if it works? Or run a telnet [public ip] [port] to test.

This is used for testing if the "media hairpin feature" causes the issue. Should not, as I tested the same model as your router.

2. If step (1) works, I didn't see any reason why Network Explorer cannot work.

3. If step (1) fails, can you try other service and port instead of NeoRouter? For example, you can simply map the 3389 (Windows Remote Desktop) to one of your computers, then try to connect to the port from your home LAN (without NeoRouter).

Very curious about the results.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:40 pm 

kevinz, here are my tests, news in red :cry:

I cannot connect Configuration/Network Explorer from NeoRouter server or client PC (inside LAN) to same NeoRouter server PC, logging to domain or public IP

I can connect Configuration/Network Explorer from NeoRouter server or client PC (inside LAN) to same NeoRouter server PC, logging to local server IP or localhost

I can connect Configuration/Network Explorer from NeoRouter client PC (outside LAN) to NeoRouter server PC, logging to domain or public IP

I cannot Telnet public_IP 32976, inside LAN

I can Telnet local_IP 32976, inside LAN

I can Remote Desktop inside LAN with or without NeoRouter

I can Uvnc inside LAN with NeoRouter addon

I cannot Remote Desktop outside LAN with NeoRouter

I cannot Uvnc outside LAN with NeoRouter addon

sigh sigh help me

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:55 pm 

Hi orsobubu,

Just want to confirm did you try to remote desktop inside LAN using PUBLIC IP ? I mean remote desktop directly without NeoRouter. It's important but you didn't mention about it.

For example, setup port forwarding on your router to map public 3389/tcp to PC1 3389, then go to PC2, run mstsc.exe /v:[public:IP]

the Internet
|
D-Link Router( port forward 3389 to PC1) ---- PC1 (listening at 3389/tcp)
|
\-------- PC2

For the following issues:

I cannot Remote Desktop outside LAN with NeoRouter
I cannot Uvnc outside LAN with NeoRouter addon

You can try the "Relay Mode". Go to your client computer, run Configuration Explorer >> Connections >> Client-to-Client Connection >> Choose "Relay through server" >> Click on "Apply" to restart the client service.

For other issues, I cannot explain until get the results from your remote desktop test. It may be caused by firewall settings or some router settings.

thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team